1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of Power (Loss of innocence.)

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by NolaNeal, Feb 7, 2022.

1. NolaNeal

NolaNeal New Member

Hello, I’m a total newbie so I apologize in advance for not knowing anything. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

This past Friday I purchased a 1990 Honda Street (Chassis: HH4-1024733, Engine: E07A, Manual Tranny) from a dealer in Mississippi. It was dark and cold by the time I got to Mississippi and I took the van for a short test drive. Too short. I know better than to do that but it was cold and I liked the car and I was ready to get home. You buy a 30 year old car, you buy it’s problems. But I thought my honeymoon with my first kei van would be a little bit longer than “zero days.”

On Saturday I took it off of the trailer and started driving it around and within 5 minutes I noticed that at high rpm’s in third it would lose power. Not completely, it would just throttle down significantly. All of a sudden it made sense why the dealer, who was driving the car for all but a very short amount of time, had so much trouble “finding the gears”. And I realized that when I did my test drive I was shifting well before redline. Had I revved up each gear a bit more I would have experienced the drop in power.

I drive the van around a bit more yesterday and realized that this loss of power happens in 2, 3, 4, and 5 but only when the accelerator is pressed down all the way down.

If you hold back just a tiny little bit from pressing the gas down all the way it will rev up to redline or near redline in each gear and you can shift normally. But when you press the gas down past a certain point it throttles back. It feels like when you drive a golf cart with a governor on it.

I know fuel filters can get clogged, especially when they are run down to empty or near empty, but the fact that I can make it happen or keep it from happening makes me think it isn’t a fuel filter issue, right? If it was gunk in the filter then the loss of power would be constant or intermittent and not something that I can make happen or keep from happening. Right?

But this is a a total guess and I’m hoping someone can suggest what the problem might be and how I might go about fixing it.

Thanks!!

t_g_farrell likes this.
  2. shogun

shogun Active Member

check the 2 solenoids on the carb. when I had the problem with the 2 solenoids on the carb, it came out black from the exhaust, but that was not oil, but unburnt fuel. Test the solenoids , see here https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/totally-bizzare-problem-in-acty.2274/page-2#post-110609
    changing both solenoids solved the problem, both were stuck. Cheaper than a complete rebuild kit, I would test the solenoids first before you spend money.

https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/1996-honda-acty-running-rich.17320/

3. NolaNeal

NolaNeal New Member

Thank you so much!

4. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

I had the same issue that drove me nuts for weeks. Tested everything, cleaned carb and all good. Even came close to ordering a new carburetor. Then had it running by accident with this one hose disconnected. Ran perfectly! With one or the other or both ends plugged problem still the same. So I put a T and a filter in that line and it’s running perfectly. No clue what that hose is for. Can’t get pic to upload but it is the line coming off the silver hockey puck looking thing on top of the carb.

Greg MacDonnell likes this.
  5. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

E881A6D2-D94D-4A49-8B54-57FC11D62E2B.jpeg Here it is.

4x4prepper and SteveBW like this.
  6. HondaDude83

HondaDude83 New Member

You saved me dude. This fixed my exact issue. Thank you so so so much for posting.

7. jimmyjames

jimmyjames New Member

Had the exact same issue and this fix worked for me too! Saved my truck!