1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of Compression - Any Advice/Experience?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Airhaan, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Airhaan

Airhaan New Member

Good Day,

I am in severe need of help! :eek:

I purchased a 1999 Suzuki Carry - Lift Dump & Vertical Raise Bed - Mini Truck.

Chassis # DB52T-120071
    - - -

Situation:

I was driving up a relatively steep and rocky road. Part of the road had washed out from water, so to avoid the gap, I cut the road hard to the right side. The right tire was too close to the ditch, slipped and I jumped over into the ditch, rather aggressively. It ended up bottoming out and slightly dented the gas tank (nothing major). The truck slammed down pretty hard and was pitched sideways in the ditch about 25-30 degrees.

The motor cranks but does not Turn Over...

Oddly, only 1 time did I get the truck to Turn over and Start, but it only lasted about 10 seconds then shut off and hasn't run since.
    - - -

Diagnostics:

1.) Problem - Loss of Compression

The mechanic I took it to tested saying the readings were as follows:

Cylinder #1: 90
    Cylinder #2: 95
    Cylinder #3: 95

He said everything else looks good, such as Timing Belt, Spark Plugs, Injector Pump/Fuel, etc...however, he is not a JDM mechanic or familiar with these vehicles, so he said to just, "Replace the Engine" (for ease)! :eek:o_O

2.) Does anyone know of a JDM Mechanic or Someone who is in the local Asheville, NC area (or Nearby) who works on these? I have seen 2 variants driving around like mine in Asheville...but called SO MANY places only to be turned down....

This is our only Farm vehicle and our production capacity without it is largely throttled.

Any Advice/Experience helps!
    Thank You!

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

First off, a severe bump will not make the engine lose compression all at once so it has had low compression for a long time(should be at least 170 in each cylinder). The fuel pump is inside the fuel tank so may very well be damaged depending on how severe the dent is.

Go to megazip and type in your serial number and you can follow through and find parts diagram for your vehicle.

Nothing unusual about these vehicles that any competent mechanic cannot figure out.

Fred

3. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

If I were you I would get another truck and have this one fully serviced and ready as a backup. Did you replace all the rubber lines and such with a full tuneup when you got it? even a 99 is 23 years old.

4. Kevin in NC

Kevin in NC Member Supporting Member

Have you contacted Mayberry Mini Trucks in Mt. Airy?

t_g_farrell likes this.
  5. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Yeah, Mayberry has some local mechanics that do all their trucks and should be familiar with things except they normally only see the 25 year old trucks.

6. Victor Getov

Victor Getov Member

IMO the demage on the tank is the reason. The fuel pump is exactly in the middle of the tank and is nearly touching the bottom. Any "small" dent can make the pump to fail.

Limestone likes this.
  7. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

If your compression is low
    Adjust the valve clearance!

Victor Getov likes this.