1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing power, help!

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by parashootist, May 20, 2021.

1. parashootist

parashootist New Member

Just picked up my 1996 S100V (Hijet Van) today. Odometer shows 35000km's and it appears to be in good overall shape. First thing I did was get fuel, I definitely overfilled it and a mile down the road from fueling up it started bucking and losing power. I downshifted and kept it running, shutting it off a few minutes later. I then drove to the auto store and did an oil change, dipstick showed quite a bit over the full mark so I figured changing it would be prudent.

Left the auto store and got on the highway, going up a hill it started losing power again but then was fine after that for a few miles. Then it really lost power and died. I pulled over and let her rest a bit. She started back up fine and then I took the next exit which brings us to the current spot.

Oil level shows right at the top mark, air filter was nice and clean. It feels like I'm losing fuel but it could also be electrical. Any ideas? I'm trying to drive this 500+ miles home. I did the same journey in a Suzuki carry van without issue. Help! Thanks!

2. parashootist

parashootist New Member

I drove with the fuel cap loose and it did not die for the 22 miles I had to drive. Seems like maybe the cap isn't venting but that seems like too simple.

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Might be your charcoal canister is plugged or the purge system not functioning properly. Sounds like you are drawing a vacuum on the tank and starving the pump.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  4. parashootist

parashootist New Member

I replaced the fuel filter and the test drive seemed promising. Hopefully that was the issue. The fuel coming out of it was black and gross looking. The filter certainly appeared clogged.

5. shogun

shogun Active Member

Maybe the fuel was too old in the tank, had some experience with that on old BMW stored for abt. 2-3 years. Fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel injectors were clogged. The fuel looked like rusty, reddish fluid. As gasoline sits within the fuel system, it tends to turn into a thick varnish that coats and clogs various components within your car. Carburetors and fuel injectors tend to be the most vulnerable to this due to the nature of the small jets within these components. Now I always add fuel stabilizer to my gasoline on cars which are stored a long time. This helps to prevent the gas from breaking down into varnish.
    Maybe you add some fuel cleaner. Oxidized gas can leave gum and varnish deposits all over your fuel system, coating your carburetor. Fuel system cleaners hopefully remove this build-up of deposits.

Limestone likes this.
  6. parashootist

parashootist New Member

Thanks! I added the recommended dosage of seafoam yesterday as well. I'll probably use it for the next few tanks.

7. parashootist

parashootist New Member

Just to close out this thread. I drove the remaining 500 miles home and the van did great. The fuel filter was definitely the issue. I replaced my fuel cap after drilling a hole in the stock one like a dummy. Thanks

fmartin_gila likes this.