1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Sambar, May 27, 2008.

1. Sambar

Sambar New Member

Hey new member here. :)

I'm looking at getting a mini truck(van 4X4) and I really like the look of the Sambar. I was wondering if these vans can be used as a daily driver? How reliable are they? Also are people getting the MGP that they claim. I think it's 50MPG.

Add anything else you might think is helpful.

Cheers

2. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Welcome to the board.

Yes, they can certainly be used as a daily driver. They do that a lot with them in Japan ;)

Then again, so do many of us.

Reliabilty I fell comes from the initial unit you purchase, as well as keeping up the maintenance. I would be more comfortable driving a 15 year old Sambar than a 15 year old Cavalier.

50MPG? Dont count on it. I have driven many different mini trucks and vans. Personally, about 44 is as close as I got, with more like high 30's being realistic.

If fuel economy is your primary or only concern, there are plenty of other vehicles you can get that will be plenty more than that.

And, with the sambar van, its gonna depend on your transmission too. Auto is going to take some away.

But, if reasonable fuel economy and one of the coolest darn vehicles you can have for under $10K is what you are after, DO IT!

(Get a van with the Kombi/VW package. They are SO cooooooooooool)

3. Sambar

Sambar New Member

Thanks. I was looking at the VW ones and they look so cool.

Like you said I guess the only drawback in getting one is you can't pick one out. It's basically a crap shoot.

I also read that you have to keep up on valve clearance. I haven't done that since my '75 MGB. :)

How are they in regions where they salt the roads? I guess coming from Japan they're aren't undercoated.

Do you think the van would outlast me in a trip from BC to Newfoundland? :)

4. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

You DO have to be careful about rust.

We had one sneak in that was quite nice in and out. Ran fantastic.

Upon inspection and certification, we could see a tiny rust spot up in the frame where a couple of frame parts meet.

With a poke of a screwdriver, it went right through. It was a bad case of being eaten from the inside out.

Granted, thats only 1 in hundreds purchased from all regions of Japan. I would say your overall chances are in your favour.

Yes, I would not have any reservations driving cross country in a well maintained unit. I may be taking a road trip to Milwaukee in the near future. The only reason I wouldnt take a Minitruck or van, is I may have to chase someone down, literally, and the little beasts just dont cut it in a car chase!

5. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

But hey, if your plan is to pick it up and drive it home, I would NOT recommend that. Here you have a vehicle right off the boat. Questionable service history. If it does give you greif, getting it repaired may be difficult.

I would want a few months of driving that particular unit before that type of journey.

Depending on your situation, you may be able to get the car delivered to Halifax through the Panama Canal for less than having it delivered to BC. (And driving or shipping it to NFLD)

6. Sambar

Sambar New Member

I was just fooling when saying driving that far. Actually there is a guy here that is starting to bring them in. But models are limited. It might be a while before I'm 100% serious in getting one as I'm the type of person who likes to scrutinize anything I buy...especially a auto. But they're just so damn cool...I want one.

7. jtpc

jtpc Member

Average for the Sambar is around 39.9mpg mixed.