1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy, need advice.

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by mattdv, Mar 20, 2010.

1. mattdv

mattdv New Member

Hey I have been looking around a bit and plan on picking up a kei truck in the next few months. I just need to figure out what one though. I live in the city/suburbs and most of my driving during the week will be local. When the weekend comes I like to get outta town and head for the hills. What is my best bet for a 100km/hr Kei truck? Then 4X4 once I get out there. I don't need a lift(as I've heard they are hard on the trucks) but more aggressive tire will be coming. TIA

kastles

2. Meesho

Meesho Member

More agressive tire (ATV tires) and 100km/h don't really go together.

3. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yup. For highway driving a bigger / more aggressive tire is not your friend.

Around 22" outer diameter is best for top speed.

The engines do not have the torque to spin a bigger tire to highway speeds.

Lifts are not a problem as long as you keep it to 2" or less.

Best to have 2 sets of wheels and tires. Street and offroad. Just install your offroad tires when you get to the bush.

Supercharged Subaru is nice for Highway use, however, not as nice for offroad. (Not really liftable properly. Rear CV axles means more to go wrong with heavy use)

I recommend Suzuki or Daihatsu for offroad. Solid rear axles. Can get difflock. Easy to lift. Parts seem to be more common. Honda and Subaru are CV rears. Parts seem to be less common. Mits you cannot get difflock. (if you care)

4. blueyedcurls

blueyedcurls New Member

Oh Crap!!! Did I screw up?? I got a 96 Carry for a rural route. :eek: I hope it holds up and does well for me. I was told Suzuki was one of the more reliable makes.

5. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Lol. If its good for off road, it will hold up just fine on road.

My main opinion there is due to the CV rear axles of the Honda and Subaru trucks. We have rebuilt many Honda/Sub rear axles, but never replaced Suzuki or Dai.

Thats all. A Subaru or Honda are a more pleasant ride on the street in my opinion. Just not as robust for off road. You should thoroughly enjoy your Suzuki and if you take care of it, it should take care of you.

6. blueyedcurls

blueyedcurls New Member

Oooooooohhhhhh!!!! I see what you're saying now. That makes sense. I'm already having some questions if I messed up with selecting this particular truck as you can see in my other post http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=6986 so when I read that I thought OH CRAP!! lol! Good to know if we decide to use it later just around the farm it'll be great for that too :D Just gotta decide if I'm gonna keep it or not. If you have any input on that, I'd love to hear :)

7. brumas

brumas Member

which one would you choose, Suzuki or Daihatsu?

Hi,

which one would you choose, Suzuki or Daihatsu?

Im about to buy one. If I like them, i might buy a few to do a fleet for Yard care business so having the same brand i think I can save when is time to service and buy parts for them.

Im thinking to put a snow plow in the winter as well, is there any issue for snow plows in this two brands (Suzuki or Daihatsu)?