1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a swivel seat for Subaru Sambar/Domingo (1200cc VW replica)

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Wendy, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Wendy

Wendy Member

According to pages 2-5 to 2-6 of the German Subaru E12 manual, the front seats, which have head-rests, can swivel to face the rear.
    My seats are different and don't have head rests and don't swivel.
    I'm converting Genevieve into a sleep one Campervan complete with sink, hob, fridge etc and I realy want the front passenger seat to swivel.
    Anyone know where I can get one?
    I'd trade it for my passenger, middle (2 seater bench) and rear (3-seater bench) all white and in lovely condition, or within reason, name your price! Doesn;t matter if the upholstery is scruffy, it's the mechanism I'm interested in. Oh, and I'm in the UK!

2. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

If you find one, let me know because I have a damaged front section, the lift up bit, and I would love to get a new cover.
    cash waiting!

Fay

3. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

http://www.campervanconversion.co.uk/fitting-swivel-seats.html

It just so happens that these guys are in the UK!

They sell swivels, and while they might not have one for a domingo, it shouldn't be too hard to adapt one to the seat you have in there. A local machine shop/sheet metal fabricator should be able to make an adaptor plate for you if needed.

4. Wendy

Wendy Member

Thanks for that link. I will contact them but my campervan conversion company thinks it won't be that easy to adapt one as the seats are so much smaller than "normal" and there is very little space for the seat to swivel in - it will probably have to be tilted backwards on its hinges and then swivelled. But I will find a solution one way or another.

5. Wendy

Wendy Member

Fay - is it just a front seat you need or the middle and back ones too? Mine are in lovely condition as you can see from my album photos but won't need them after conversion (which will be done on January).

6. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

My front seats swivel. I don't know if you have ever seen this type of seat, it is a wonder of Japanese ingenuity. I will try and take some pictures.

The bottom seat squab is in two sections and flips up to shorten the seat and allow it to rotate. While working on the dashboard I got some araldite on the front section, Aaaaargh! I have moved it to the drivers side, so at least I don't have to look at it while I'm driving.

My back seats are standard five seats. Could be tempted by the two rear seat conversion, but that would mean a whole new ball game.

As to yours, Do I want to do a complete interior retrim? It would probably be easier to match the white, it would be one possible solution to the Araldite..................

Fay

7. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Just a thought, have you ever taken your seat covers off? What is under the lovely whiteness on those front seats?

Fay

8. Wendy

Wendy Member

No - never touched them but will have to wait till she comes back from garage as she's having her cam belt changed.

9. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

I took some piccys today, will try and post them shortly.

10. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Here's what the seat looks like in various positions. with the front part of the squab raised and a little velcro in strategic places, it makes a great place to put a handbag that no longer slides into the footwell.

just undo the two clips that allow access to the battery and see what you have under yours.

hope this helps.

fay

Attached Files:

11. Wendy

Wendy Member

Unfortunately my seats definitely don't swivel - but I'm determined to find one as it's very nifty, and I don't think any off the shelf swivel will fit.

12. Wendy

Wendy Member

I've finally had Genevieve, my lovely Subaru Domongo fully converted into a camper van complete with storage, sink, hob, fridge, leisure battery, mains hook-up, single bed and even a commode! Check out the photos in my new album.
    All I need now is some decent weather. And I'm still looking for swivel seats for the front. I'm willing to pay good momey for them and import them from anyway in the world (to the UK). Don't care what condition they are in.

13. Wendy

Wendy Member

photos of Genevieve...

Attached Files: