1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a Mini Truck Teacher!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kyle Lamb, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Kyle Lamb

Kyle Lamb New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and the world of mini trucks. I purchased one last fall to use on my property up in Southern Ontario (just north of Toronto). So far it's been pretty great. But lately it's been acting up. It's bogging a lot, especially going up hill and just not running as it should.

It's a 93 Suzuki Carry 4X4 with diff/axel lock with about 93000km on it. It's even got that extra low crawl mode. Plus it just looks cool! Pics attached.

Recently I took it in to a local mechanic (no mini truck experience) and he tuned it up and did a bunch of work on the carb - adjusted valve, new carb kit and replaced cap and rotor (cap was worn). When I got it back it didn't fix the bogging problem.

Anyway, I'm no car expert at all but was wondering if anyone in this forum would be willing to talk and teach me about my mini. A little mini truck master class of sorts. I'm willing to pay for some online/Facetime lessons. I'd really love to know about the mini and be able to tweak and fix when things aren't running great. I know a lot of this stuff is trial an error.

If there's any Suzuki Carry mini truck experts out there who'd be willing to teach/mentor a mini truck (and car) rookie please reach out!

Thanks for reading and nice to meet y'all.

kyle

62091477174__90A3C852-49DB-4B37-8574-6CDE08F1BBA5 2.JPG 62091405647__DB81F548-157C-4A76-9FE5-91BF4454A8E5.JPG

Adam C Spry likes this.
  2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Hang and ask questions, and quite a few of us will give you advise for free. You should update your signature to give a little more info on your truck. LimeStone or mine are good examples..

Adam C Spry, Kyle Lamb and Limestone like this.
  3. Kyle Lamb

Kyle Lamb New Member

Hey Jigs-n-fixtures. Appreciate the advice and direction! updating my signature now.
    is there a good feed where i should head to and ask some questions. really trying to figure out why it bogs doing up hill and when i get in some friction spots ie a bit of mud and such.
    thanks again for the reply!

Adam C Spry likes this.
  4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Kyle Lamb likes this.
  5. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Welcome Kyle, These old school internet forums are exactly the place to learn the kind of information you seek. There are years worth of information about your truck and I encourage you to spend as much time as you can searching and reviewing it. I like that rear winch bumper, it's really cool.

Adam C Spry and Kyle Lamb like this.
  6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Kyle,
    Like these guys are saying, your in the right place! You remind me of my oldest Son, coincidentally, the same age! I was kinda the same way when I was younger also! Please don't take this wrong! A little impatient! I also was willing to spend a little extra to help me solve some problems so I could keep moving at the speed of sound! LOL! The old saying "Patience is a Virtue", certainly holds true here! With that being said, you can find your answers here, it might just take a bit! The older units, seem to have a few bugs, due to age, and lack of maintenance! Like Jigs said, Most problems seem to point to the Carb, but actually because the way these things are designed, are other issues, like the Vac. lines, charcoal canisters, etc....Understanding how these thing are designed and built, and run and function are what it's about! Seriously, I think if some don't have time for that, then they should probably, either buy a newer one or get out of the one they got into! It truly takes a bit getting to understand how these units operate, and what makes them tick! I hope that you stick around, and we can help solve your Mini truck issues!:)
    Limestone

Adam C Spry and Kyle Lamb like this.
  7. Kyle Lamb

Kyle Lamb New Member

Thanks Limestone! Really appreciate the welcome and I smiled when ya said I remind you of your son. And I hear ya. But definitely willing to take the time learn about this machine. I'm not going to toss it it away, ha. Just want to use this as an opportunity to get to know the inner workings of my mini. I think I sorta learned my lesson sending it away to a mechanic so I'm willing to take the time to learn and tinker. Patience is a virtue is definitely an important saying in this case! appreciate that.

Anyway, just a bit of an update. I reached out to the folks at G&R Imports as per Jig-n-Fixtures and spoke with BIG Joe. Man, a super nice fella and he chatted with me for a good while. He suggested trying a few things and pointed out some trouble areas that I can start looking into. And I might pick your brains on as well.

He suggested:
    - timing - check the weights that often get jammed
    - catalytic converter - see if it's clogged/not working properly - actually black soot does come out of my exhaust
    - fresh air cleaner - could be not functioning as well and to check the valve

It was super helpful but I definitely missed some of his notes so would love any help around these areas. I'll be up at my place next weekend so I could start tinkering with the truck then.

Adam C Spry likes this.
  8. Kyle Lamb

Kyle Lamb New Member

Thanks I'll check it out!

Adam C Spry likes this.
  9. Kyle Lamb

Kyle Lamb New Member

Excited to dig in! Nice to meet ya

Adam C Spry likes this.
  10. Adam C Spry

Adam C Spry Member Supporting Member

lots of truth spoken here, Kyle. These guys helped me through my timing belt change that i thought i would never figure out. i probably wont be much help to you, but there are plenty of great resources on the site. Have fun and keep truckin. Welcome!

11. Kyle Lamb

Kyle Lamb New Member

Hey Adam, thanks for the welcome! And this is great to hear. Looking forward to chatting with you all. Going to do a bit of tinkering this weekend and will report back! Speak soon.

12. Limestone

Kyle,
    Tinkering is good! I mean it! Take notes! Seriously, it's easy to forget things, that you've changed once you changed them! Take pics, for your own benefit, and use, besides posting them for our benefit! Remember, bolts will break off easy, a can of penetrating oil, at the ready,(like P.B. Blaster), is always good! Better to be safe! Good Luck!
    Limestone

13. Kyle Lamb

Kyle Lamb New Member

Hey Limestone, hope you had a good weekend. I was up at my farm tinkering with the truck a bit and have a few questions (with pics). Was wondering the best place to post to see if the community can assist. Thanks!

14. Limestone

Kyle,
    No Questions are Stupid! Being that you have a Suzuki Carry, I would post whatever questions you might have in that section, pertaining to your Carry, or if it's just something General , just list it under the General Truck Info section! I hope this helps! The people here are very accommodating, and everyone will be very helpful!
    Limestone

15. Kyle Lamb

Kyle Lamb New Member

Thanks Limestone. You all are making me feel welcomed already! Thanks for the tips.