1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lift question?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by willyboy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. willyboy

willyboy Member

I just put my 2 1/4 in. lift on my 03 Carry from Xroads and thought it was going to be adjustible camber but it wasn't. I read in the instructions that the toe in is normal and should not be adjusted. Just drive it and it will be ok.
    Now will my tires straighten up or not after driving it for awile because they are toe'd in a little to much.
    As far as the toe goes it is a great lift l like it much better than the shackles I was looking at.

2. speedy67

speedy67 Member

I put an x-roads lift on a '92, and it didn't affect the toe-in too much, but the camber looked pretty ugly initially when we let it down, but after it has been moved a couple feet it comes back to a more near-normal position, but still not 100% spec, and if there is a driver and passenger in it looks normal.

I think they should have a 'more wicked' angle cut on the spacers to force the tops of the struts inwards even more to compensate for the loss of the horizontal position of the a-arm. Even though there is a bit of adjustability in the top cap, there still isn't enough.

Using spacers to lower the differential and a-arms will remove this concern, and is the proper way to complete a lift.

As for the re-arched spring that comes with the kit, it works, but stiffens up the ride, and worse than that, it removes the articulation capabilities of the rear axle. If the wheel isn't on the ground in challenging terrain you aren't going to get the traction.

For a mild lift, longer shackles aren't a bad choice, but once again it compromises the driveline angles, in that the differential gets tilted. This can be overcome with a proper wedge to re-align the pinion angles. For a more radical lift, I would think that lowering of the mounting points would be the proper way, but might also neccessitate the lowering of the engine and transmission, being as that the only extension capabilities in the driveshaft are the transmission output splines. The pinion angles need to be considered in this method too.

3. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

The toe-in will not change after "driving it for awhile". Once the truck is taken off the jack and rolled back and forth a short distance, the suspension components will be in their normal position. Toe-in is set by the tie-rods, lengthening the tie-rods will correct the toe-in condition. This adjustment will have to be made if you want to correct your toe-in.