1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lift Kits

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Super Mini Trucks, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Super Mini Trucks

Super Mini Trucks New Member

Guys,
    Lets face it there is several lift kits out there today. Most of them knocked off some one else's. some with improvements. Most them them are piss poor.
    There are some good ones & they are getting better.
    You cannot put more than about 2-1/2" on top & then it must have an offset & a proper mounting angle.

There is now way of keeping the axels straight unless you drop the differential
    Two straight & you lose travel. Look at any off-road vehicle, you must have the travel to haul *^#@! across rough terrain
    The pigeon toe cannot be corrected by adjustable features. It's just impossible to offset any further than a point acheived when the body gets in the way & at about this point (a little less) you are putting undo strain on the wheel side CV joint that is already at an angle . Now we have severe opposite strains on both ends. Hows this gona work out. And we don't need to offset the other way thats for sure.
    I seen some they just weld to the top of the struts melting & destroying the rubber bushing. Most just a piece of thin wall tubing and a couple tabs or thin flanges.
    Watch some one with the longer shackels on the back , ahead of you cutting hard on turns & rough terrain, Plus they look like crap. Use a block, rotate the rearend (Universal joint too steep otherwise) & add aftermarket shocks and possibly our add aleaf.Which I might add we now have special cast to fit specific year make & model complete with all the hardware again special made in a machine shop. The right stuff no alterations neccassary.

My advice spend the extra $$ if you want a lift higher than 2-5/8" & drop the diff & all related appartus
    And Always
    Buy it from someone who has feedback about it
    Buy it from a trusted vendor

mike

2. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Mike,

I have had the same experience with the strut spacers. If you go much over 2 inches, you are asking for problems. Although it is possible to correct the camber with the offset on the spacers, and correct the toe-in with the tierods, the CV joints are working at to great an angle. It is fairly easy to see the problem, take a Suzuki with a 3" lift and jack it up off the ground. The passenger side wheel will not turn freely because the drive axle and CV joints are beyond their designed limit of travel.

But, if you drop the differential along with the arms and struts, you will maintain the original geometry. Hopefully we will see this design available soon. I am building one like this for a 1992 Suzuki, but since each year and model of truck is different, there will have to be several kits for each particular truck. The spacers are easy because "one size fits all"....almost.

3. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

So, just to see if I understand what you are saying, can you lift a truck one to two inches and not have to worry about causing problems down the road for the CV joints? Has anyone actually solved this problem and can guarantee that? Is it best just to use the smaller ATV tires without a lift, for now at least?