1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

License Plates--Just for Fun

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Samurai9, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I have assembled the nuts, bolts, and assorted metal pieces to hang my two original plates from the headache rack and the brush guard. The conventional locations do not work because of my trailer hitch and the brush guard. I will try all this out in the next few days. Doing this is basically for photos and for a chuckle. See photos in the gallery. I will soon replace them with some taken in better light.

Sam

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Colin

Colin Member

Cool... needs a Monaro body conversion, though. Did you see Huber run his 9-second 2.3T Mustang on the Power Tour? :D

I've got a British front plate from europlates.com on my Merkur. It's higher quality than the real Minnesota plates - the reflective background coating is nice.

Last week, I ordered a replica Japanese plate with my ATV registration number on it. I left off the two numbers above the main registration number (presumably expiration year?) - I plan to stick my state-issued expiration decal in that spot. This oughtta be fun.

Colin

3. HTRDLNCN

HTRDLNCN New Member

that is the Aussie HSV GTO front end.. Much nicer than the standard Monaro at least to me..

Like the Hijet everyone would do a double take when I drove by.
    They didnt know what the hell it was,LOL.

I changed everything (badges,wheels,steering wheel,springs,struts,display,etc)
    to the aussie HSV (Holden Special Vehicle)
    GTO spec.

With Yank 3200 and 100 shot everything else bone stock
    (even factory air filter and exhaust) ran
    12.005@112 on MT radials,
    12.9@104 without the juice
    on the juice killing a supercharged Marauder at Southern Super Heavywieght Shootout.
    http://media.putfile.com/GTO-vs-Supercharged-Marauder
    off the juice killing a Hemi Charger
    http://www.hotrodlincoln.org/sshs5/gto vs charger rt.wmv
    (sorry about the threadjack! ) :)
    Pic without the tag,still had the Power Tour sticker in the windshield.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  4. Colin

Colin Member

5. HTRDLNCN

HTRDLNCN New Member

yeah,thats the standard Monaro, it is nice as well
    but I like the HSV better. Either one is much better than the
    round egg look Pontiac front end. They should have just imported
    it as a Holden and told Pontiac to take a hike.

6. Colin

Colin Member

Yeah. The Pontiac grille is heinous.

7. Colin

Colin Member

Got my plate. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not very authentic, since kei-class vehicles are supposed to have black and yellow plates, plus I ordered it without a second line of text/numbers (keep it a little more legal.) I think I'll order another one for the front now. :)

Colin

8. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Very good, Colin. This is your official, state, street legal plate? The DMV let you provide your own plate and then you put the government sticker on it? If so, this is a wonderful combination. (Colin, I have now read your explanation in a message above. But the state let you, or required you, to obtain your own plate with the official numbers on it?)

Sam

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. Colin

Colin Member

To quote from the Minnesota DNR-issued "Off Highway Vehicle Regulations 2007-08" pamphlet:

I drive mine in the traffic lane of county roads, for what it's worth... my rather loose definition of "extreme right" includes the part of the lane nearest the fog line. :D

The Japanese plate meets these criteria.

I'll be damned if I'm going to put mailbox letters on a piece of plywood and hang it off the back of my "ATV" with baling wire like half the rednecks around here. :D

It also says:

Whoooooops! :rolleyes:

I'm surprised nobody has razzed me for parking my truck in a lilac bush! I was trying to get out of the bright-*** sunlight so I could get a decent picture. :p

Colin

10. treknavigator

treknavigator New Member

chicken dumpling did you get it a the car dealership

11. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a great idea! Fun.

12. treknavigator

treknavigator New Member

chickendumpling what year of truck do you have i am running a 93 suzuki

13. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

Japanese license plates vs. USA license plates

If you order custom made license plates for your mini-truck, it may be of some benefit to order them without mounting holes (allowing you to create mounting holes where needed and not have unused holes showing or having to fabricate an adapter). The Japanese license plates are different dimensions and have a wider mounting bolt spacing.

The Japanese plates are approximately: 13" x 6.5" (330mm x 165mm)
    The mounting holes (there are only two and they are at the top) are approximately 8.25" (210mm), center to center, apart.

The USA plates are approximately: 12" x 6" (305mm x 152.5mm)
    The mounting holes (4) are approximately 7" (178mm), center to center, apart

The following facts were found on the Internet:

Some Facts about Japan License Plates
    Vintage 1971-1998 License Plates
    The two digits, next to the Japanese Kanji prefecture, across the top generally denoted the vehicle class which went like this:
    33, 34, 35, 36 … (Registered for Heavy Car, engine capacity over 2000cc)
    55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 51, 52, 53, 54, 77, 78, 79... (Registered for Medium Car, engine capacity from 661cc to 2000cc).
    And for the yellow plates, it is different:
    40, 41, 42, 43… (Registered for Light Truck, engine capacity up to 660cc)
    50, 51… (Registered for light cars, engine capacity up to 660cc)
    It is noticed that the oldest ones start with the same double-digit and progress from there. Medium cars were the most common, so they cycled around to 54, and then started using plates from the 7 series. The other two series (3x & 4x) are quite scarce and never cycled through completely.
    How fast this occurred of course depended on the prefecture. Large cities like Osaka and parts of Tokyo would go through plates fast, whereas smaller places like Kurume, would take longer to cycle through. So, it is possible to estimate the age of the plate but it is very difficult to give an exact year. This is because 1971 to 1998 is a long time period.
    Current Version License Plates
    Current version of Japan License Plate started from 1998 with the new 3-digit after the prefecture. Now with the new system we have:
    300, 301, 302 ... (Registered for Heavy Car, engine capacity over 2000cc)
    400, 401, 402... (Registered for Light Truck, engine capacity up to 660cc)
    500, 501, 502 ... (Registered for light cars, engine capacity up to 660cc)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  14. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

my son got me one off ebay for my birthday...the black letters and yellow plate is the right one for these truck in japan. check out my pic's.

15. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but i found the license plate info for my truck and was wondering the correct color and style for it and if anyone knows of a place to custom make it? I assume it is a yellow w/ black lettering plate. truck is a toyota liteace, 1998cc engine, 1290kg gross weight?

Nagano 44
    Chi 61-68

16. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Since its over a 1litre engine, it should be a white background with black letters. Anything under 1 litre is with a yellow background and black letters.

17. Stuff99

ah, thanks, i wasnt quite sure about that. i'll mark that down.

also i have found sites that i can put the 44 and 61-68 in but i have no clue what the other charachters are on the plates. i assume the nagano is where it is from but no clue on the chi part.

18. Stuff99

was cruising ebay today, found these light up license plate holders...

anyone have a clue how that works? are the plates over there made out of plastic or something?

[​IMG]

19. Stuff99

would this be translated correctly?

Nagano 44
    Chi 61-68

to

長野44
    チ61-68

20. Stuff99

I found out today that ""44" is Van or commercial vehicle".