1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Libero/domingo/E12 Quebec LHD

Discussion in 'Microvans' started by franck2cv, Feb 26, 2010.

1. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

I'm doing some progress in my project to buy and import a Subaru Libero in Quebec. I'm in touch with a garage that regualrly has a few for sale. I also found someone whom I've met a few years ago within the local Montreal Citroen Club and who happened to trade cars between Europe and Canada as a leisury business.
    He's willing to help which is great.
    If all goes according to plan, he should drive to Berlin within the next few weeks to see a 1996 Libero in excellent condition (no rust). He shall carry it back to France then (only if it's worth the purchase of course). Then, my parents will keep the Libero in storage untill it reaches 15 years of age (1996) prior shipping it to Montreal.
    So that's the story so far!!

Question: Is there anything on the E12 that my friend should check more closely? Any known weak point?

Also, should we have a dedicated area for the E12 LHD? or will I be the only one posting? lol....

Thank you all.

Franck

Attached Files:

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a nice find. I would just give him a copy of the 'what to look for when buying a mini truck' thread and see if that helps him out. good luck on the importing

ask him to check over the windows etc for the DOT stamps.

3. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

Thanks. i'll take a look at this thread and send him a copy/past.
    What's the DOT window thing??
    I've ask the SAAQ and was told that the only thing I was required to change was the day running light and the third stop light.....

F.

4. Stuff99

some places require the glass to be DOT stamped. department of transportation? im not sure off hand. I know the headlights have to be DOT spec to

5. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

Hmmmm is that new? I got a Citroen Ami 8 (1978) shipped last year (August) for a friend and none of those things were required.

6. Stuff99

hmmm. not sure actually.

7. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

Hey Franck, nice to see you're making progress in your Libero search. Looks like a nice find. Its great that you'll get someone to look at it, before buying.
    As far as the windshield DOT you should be alright .My Sambar van has the original Japanese windshield and its DOT23 approved, so I'm sure the Euro spec Libero is too. The headlights on a Libero are also DOT stamped ( unlike the Sambar and Domingo ) so no mods are required. I also have the 1996 E10 & E12 owners manual (German) in PDF format if you're interested.

8. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

Thank you for those clarification! Much appreciated. I would really like to take a look at those manuals. I'be been searching the web for quite sometime and somehow always ended up with totaly irrelevant stuff.....
    No news from my friend yet. All I know from the German garage is that the Green/Grey Libero is still available....
    I read through the 'buying guide line' and there don't seem to be anythink specific to look out for. A traditional used car inspection should be fine then I guess. The german TUV is very stringent. I've asked for a new TUV certificate to make sure it's freshly inspected (it's valid for two years there).
    Let's wait and see. F.

9. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

No problem. :) If you get a new TUV then you should be fine. Here is a link to the owner's manual.
    http://hotfile.com/dl/31076226/7e24e21/subaru-libero-e12-96-manual-de.pdf.html

10. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

Brilliant! Thank you!!! Can't read a word of German but just looking at the line arts is great, especially the different seat configuration. Love it.

11. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

You're welcome. Ya, I found the pictures useful too. :D

Last edited: May 14, 2011