1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LEGAL info IMPORT

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by subiemech85, Jun 27, 2007.

1. subiemech85

subiemech85 New Member

2. Colin

Colin Member

I find this part interesting:

e. Unregulated Fuel Vehicle

The vehicle runs solely on an unregulated fuel. Regulated fuels are typically gasoline, diesel, ethanol, methanol, CNG, or LPG (including propane) fuels. For 2004 and later model years, only fuel cell and electric vehicles are unregulated. Prior to 2004 model year, an exempt fuel vehicle will operate solely on fuel:

other than gasoline or diesel fuel for model years earlier than 1991,
    other than gasoline, diesel, ethanol, or methanol fuel for 1990-1996 model years,
    other than gasoline, diesel, ethanol, methanol, CNG, or LPG (including propane) for 1997 to 2003.
    A duel-fueled or multi-fueled vehicle (such as one that can run on either gasoline or propane) is regulated if it is capable of running on a regulated fuel.

Requirements

Importer must file with U.S. Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "Y".

Converting or re-converting a vehicle that runs solely on an unregulated fuel to run on a regulated fuel without a proper certificate of conformity from EPA is a violation of the Clean Air Act.

From the looks of it, you could convert a pre-91 kei truck to run on ethanol, file Form 3520-1 and be exempt. It would be cool if this applied to E85, but it's probably just E100 (or pure ethanol, in other words.) Hmm...

Colin

3. jliltd

jliltd Member

I thought these trucks, by their very definition with the US Gubmn't, are not "vehicles". The term "vehicle" is precisely defined and since these trucks are not classified "vehicles" that's what allows them to be imported, as off-road equipment (like farm tractors and the like). This same definition that precludes them from operating as "vehicles" with proper registration on public highways and is the same reason vans and 4-door models do not qualify as "off-road" equipment due to their inherent vehicular characteristics. Clear as mud.

4. Colin

Colin Member

Holy crap, I hate this country's motor vehicle laws.

Colin

5. tga

tga New Member

speed limiters

I bought a truck about 6 months ago from a private party. The truck has a lot of issues and I have decided to sell it so I can buy a more reliable truck ( live and learn). The problem is that this truck does not have the speed limiter cover plate that only allows it to go into a couple of gears.

I really do not trust the Feds, they scare me to death and to cover my butt and have peace of mind before I sell this truck to someone else I want to make sure that the speed limiter is attached so it can't come back and haunt me later. What they do with it after is their business.

Does anyone know where I can get a picture so I can fabricate my own or even buy a limiter from someone? The only thing that I know is that the steel needs to be at least an 1/8 inch thick and it can only allow it to go into 1st gear and reverse.

Thanks .

6. jpfanne

jpfanne Member

Try kennysminitrucks.com. I spoke with him last week about the same thing. He had some pictures of the plates that are "approved", and could email them if you need them.

Thanks
    Jeff

7. tga

tga New Member

speed limiters

Jeff,

Thanks for the help and I will contact these guys and see if they can help me.

Scott