1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Gregkabob, May 13, 2008.

1. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

HI All, first post here. I'm a new owner of a 1992 Carry and will be picking it up this week. I've been lurking for a while and learning a lot. My wife and I decided to buy a mini truck for the farm and I just found out that on 6 May Gov Henry sign SB1998 that added the mini trucks and made them legal for the roads in Okieville. The exception is that they are not allowed on the Interstate or defense highway system.

I was told this will take effect 1 Nov.

Here's a link to the bill if anyone cares to look at it. Check out the second to last page. Page 21.

http://www.sos.state.ok.us/documents/Legislation/51st/2008/2R/SB/1998.pdf

I'm sure once I have the truck I'll have questions.

Greg

2. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

defense highway system? i hear it will be november before everything is set and can tag them though. im still quite excited. im an okie and got tired of my half ton pickup getting 10mpg.

3. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

When Eisenhower introduced the intestate highways he introduced them as the defence highway system. So the way I read it is we can drive our trucks on all roads except the Interstate highways.

Greg

4. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

rememberd that after i posted the question.

5. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I would not drive the Kei trucks onroad except on city streets and country lanes. Can you imagine what would happen if a Sambar collided with an
    F150? I know some of you are driving on highways every day at 60-70 mph but I would want to stay under 40. OK, that's just me--I am not brave.

Sam

6. LarryMorris

LarryMorris New Member

I also am a new Carry owner and agree that I will not be driving on the major highways unless I can't find a better route.
    I found out about HB1998 the day after buying the Carry. I think the new bill will drive the prices up a little for mini trucks but hopefully not much.

I bought mine for a hunting vehicle instead of a Mule or something simular but I am having a hard time keeping the wifey out of it.:)

Larry

7. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

i drive mine wherever i can get away with it. my f150 only gets 10mpg and i just cant afford to drive it hunting anymore, or anywhere else for that matter. when i go pig hunting i seem to always use 1/4 tank of gas in the ford. and thats just local around the farm.
    i cant wait till nov 1st so i dont have to use SMV sign and quit worrying about where i drive it. just wish they would enact some temporary system to be able to use them on road till nov 1st. would love to drive it to work.

8. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

I wonder what kind of paperwork will have to be done to get a tag for them. I would imagine someone will have to actually look at the truck to get verifiy the numbers on it. All I got with mine was a bill of sale.

9. LarryMorris

LarryMorris New Member

Been wondering the same thing myself after reading another thread on this board last night.
    Wondering what kind of price they will put on insurance / liability only? / farm tag?
    My wifey used to work at a dealership so she may have connections that can find out answers ahead of time.

Larry

10. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

Laryy if you (or anyone) hears of what the requirements are going to be to get a tag and who will insure the trucks please post. I'll do the same.

I was able to play with mine a bit this weekend on the farm. Drop it in 4wLow and they will get with it. I took some pics and will post them to the introduction section as soon as I drop them off the camera. It's going to make a nice addition to the farm toys.....:D

Greg

11. Griz

Griz Member

I just got off the phone with OTC (Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Title, Registration & Misc. Fees)
    Was told she had nothing as far as new rules regarding HB1998 but thought it would require a notarized bill of sale showing VIN number and selling price to tag your mini truck after November, 2008 in Oklahoma.

12. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

Griz, Thanks for posting the info. I have a bill of sale but it's not notorized. I don't think it will be problem getting one for me but how about those that purchased a while ago and the seller is no longer around?

I also expect prices to go up a bit once folks see them on the road with tags on them. Since I got mine a lot of people have asked be about it and some dealers are selling as fast as they get them in.

13. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

i thought there was no VIN in english.

14. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

there is a vin on my truck, no, wait, it's a serial number. at least that's what they call it in arizona. since my truck is a 99 they expect a 17 digit number for it to qualify as a vin. since it isn't they call it a serial number. but it's stamped in the body just below the right hand seat in the engine compartment, and again on an ID tag in the engine compartment.

15. jtpc

jtpc Member

I e-mailed Rep. Don Armes' Assistant and asked for info about the needed paperwork and she said it is too soon to get information. Come closer to November info should be easier to find on how to register/tag a mini truck in Oklahoma.
    I can't imagine it being too hard seeing that they are doing this for those who have them on the farm already. We'll see.

16. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

i hope your right. i sure wish we could get some type of temp tags to last us untill Nov. im gonn spend a lot of unnecessary gas money between now and then.

17. Griz

Griz Member

Talking with a tag agent and was asked for a email copy of a mini truck bill of sale. I do not have one to send her, can anyone email a sample of their bill of sale?

18. jtpc

jtpc Member

you might try the dealer I ordered mine from seeing that they are from Oklahoma.
    Here is their contact:
    http://www.allamericanminitrucks.com/contact.htm

They may be willing to help you. ?

But if you are concerned about the process of getting your truck registered/tagged in Oklahoma, I was told that the process wouldn't be known/available till closer to Nov 1st and to ask the tag agency maybe a month before then. I think it is probably too early for them to have information seeing that the OTC still has several months to come up with the paper work for registering these mini-trucks.
    ~Josh

19. Griz

Griz Member

I am concerned about the process of getting your truck registered/tagged in Oklahoma with an Indian nations tag & title. I have a friend talking with his Indian tag agent. They ask to see a bill of sale.

20. jtpc

jtpc Member

Okay, thanks for the clarity. I also use Cherokee tags on my other vehicles. Personally, I haven't bothered the Cherokee Nation Tag agency with questions because I doubt they will know what in the heck a Sambar is. At least I know the Oklahoma tag agency has to register/tag the truck by law. The native american agencies may not be required to tag them.
    But like I said, I haven't even bothered asking, so maybe all the tribes will happily tag the different mini-trucks come Nov 1st.
    We'll see.

21. Griz

Griz Member

Just trying to check out the possibility of getting a Indian tag now and having to wait till November to get mini's tagged in Oklahoma. They ask to see the paper work. In a note from the tag agent.

"We may possibly be able to use the export papers but again, unless I can look at them, I am not sure. You can scan the paperwork and email them to me prior to driving down here if you would like to, then I will let you know what we can do."

I am looking for anyone who has the normal mini truck papers in their computer that can be emailed. Wishing I had the papers in my computer so I could send them to this agent who is trying to help us.

22. Griz

Griz Member

Well I sent the Indian tag agent a export certificate (both in Japanese & English) and bill of sale which was on a form that headed INVOICE, got this in reply.
    "I did notice that the invoice you sent me provided for a charge to make the vehicle meet the EPA standards so I don’t think you will have a problem with that. Just keep all the forms you receive from Customs when you pick up the truck and we will look through them. You have enough to get the tag as far as I am concerned."

23. jtpc

jtpc Member

That is good news! My truck won't get to me till August, but maybe I will be able to get an indian tag for it. I am Cherokee. What tribe did you speak with?

24. Griz

Griz Member

I contacted THE CREEK NATION but would like to know what the Cherokee will do, let me know will ya?

25. jtpc

jtpc Member

Contacted the Cherokee Nation and they said they cannot do anything unless the vehicle has an Oklahoma Title. So come November 1st I would need to register it with the Oklahoma tag agency and get a title issued from them, then take that to the Cherokee Tag agency and they would exchange the Oklahoma title with a Cherokee title. At that point, I could get it tagged with the Cherokee nation.

So I still have to wait till Nov 1st.

26. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

I just picked up two Mistu's for the inlaws, yep, his and her's. The dearler here in Oklahoma said that along with the 1 Nov tag date all sellers of mini trucks will have to "Used Car Dealers" meaning they will no longer be able to sell from behind the barn. He said he's setting up what is required, License, buildling with sign and public toilets. Anyone else heard this?

I'm sure the added expenses will be passed to the buyers.

27. jtpc

jtpc Member

That interesting. I haven't heard that yet. I wonder how they will be able to contact every dealer and tell them.
    I suppose its not too big of a deal for most to get the license, building w/sign, public toilets. But yeah, some smaller mini-truck dealers won't be happy.
    However, I think this will weed out the amateur dealers that will pop up just to make a quick buck (and who might sell lemons in ignorance to the mechanics of them).

28. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

If yall Okies have to get a dealers cert. from state you will have to be insured and put up a bond aswell. I started buying and selling trucks from the U.S. Gov. about 2 years ago in Texas and had to do the above. These are going to be used vehicles as far as the states are concerned.

29. walkguru

walkguru New Member

it wont be long now, im wishing i had mine already.

30. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

All dealers in Canada have to be licensed/bonded automobile dealers. This is MUCH better than all the backyard guys, thats for sure.

Legitimizes the product more than just backyarders. Also, dealers have to provide warranty by law here!

The only people that its gonna cause a problem for is those who really shouldn't be selling them anyway.