1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left Rear Wheel Locking Up / Shop in Charlotte Area

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by GW2, Dec 1, 2021.

1. GW2

GW2 New Member

I have a 91 4WD Sambar S/C. When I went to back it out of the garage today, the right rear corner reared up, but the truck wouldn't move. I got out and saw it had dragged the left rear wheel a foot or two, so something was causing the LR rear to lock up. I could put the truck in first gear and it would go forward though.

So I took it out of gear and was going to push it down the driveway so I could drive it back to my shop, but when I tried to push it, but it was stuck solid.

I then got back in the truck and after taking it in and out of gear a few times, finally got it to move reluctantly.

Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know someone around Charlotte that has experience working on these things? I'd like to have someone go through the differentials / gearbox. I just don't have time to do it.

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Could be a sticky brake shoe or perhaps the friction material has fallen off of the shoe and is getting wedged between the drum and the other shoe.. sounds pretty likely to me if it goes forward fine, but not reverse.

3. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Yeah, check the rear brakes first. Might be a simple fix.

4. GW2

GW2 New Member

Only had time to put it on stands and pull the rear tires when I went to the shop today. It’s actually the right rear that’s locked up. I can turn the hub forward, but it’s hard to do. The fact that the right rear axle was completely wet definitely isn’t a great sign. Also noticed 1.) that the new oil drain plug didn’t fix the little leak I had going on and 2.) There’s a little bit of bend to the left rear axle. 7071BBA8-59BE-4DAF-8266-BFC1C42043F6.jpeg
    928238BA-26F3-43A5-BC59-75D220747182.jpeg EEC00482-3CF9-4A27-ADEA-336103A2D7E0.jpeg

5. Enoc Cantero

Enoc Cantero New Member

Have you found anyone in the Charlotte area that works on these trucks?

6. GW2

GW2 New Member

No. With the holidays and everything else, I haven't had much time to work on it until recently. If I find someone, I'll post it.

7. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I've had the same issue recently. I hope to get it home where I can work on it in a few weeks. That brake shoe separation explanation makes sense.

8. Hullen

Hullen New Member

I’m not sure if I’m too late to the party here, but I do live in Charlotte (soon to be concord as I just got a house). I’ve been wrenching for about 20 years and have some Japanese import experience.

I was the lead mechanic at Vanlife Northwest in Portland Oregon before I moved here to Charlotte about 3 years ago. I currently work at Buick GMC as a line tech, but I am wanting to transition to doing my own thing with the kei trucks. I personally have a 1994 ks3 that I’ve been fixing up

9. Hullen

Hullen New Member

10. t_g_farrell

Can't see your pics. Welcome.

I thought about doing k truck work once I retire just to keep busy and in the scene. We'll see.

11. Hullen

Hullen New Member

You should be able to see them now

12. t_g_farrell

Nice looking truck.

13. t_g_farrell

You need to join Queen City Mini Truck FB group.

Hullen likes this.
  14. Hullen

Hullen New Member

Thanks! I just joined

15. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

My issue was resolved when I replaced the rear shoes and ebrake shoes.

16. Half Tanuki

Half Tanuki New Member

I'm in Kannapolis, just north of CLT. I looked for the group on FB and couldn't find it. Did the name change?

17. t_g_farrell

18. Half Tanuki

Half Tanuki New Member