1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

left hand drive vs right hand drive

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by steve_nagoya, Mar 31, 2008.

1. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Hey all,

For those who have trucks, does it matter to you if the truck is right hand drive, or would it be better to be left-hand drive? If you prefer left-hand drive, would you pay more (if yes, realistically how much more?)?

Steve

2. Dan

Dan Member

I can't imagine the intial confusion that the rhd must cause the first time drivers... maybe its part of the novelty of the imports. I personally have never been in a rhd unit and would opt for the lefty... all of mine were US spec vehicles. If they were made in both versions why would you pay more for them? how many times have all of you walked up to the wrong side of you minis? haha

3. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

For Americans, left hand drive is preferable, unless you deliver mail. For offroad, right hand drive is fine because you are not in traffic. Those who drive on the road and in traffic where you have to shift often and quickly, may feel more secure with left hand drive. In my Hijet I have driven only offroad and on country roads with very little traffic. I have found it easy to learn to shift with the left hand in this environment. The only difficulty I had at first was finding third gear, which is not over to the right as far as what I have used in the past. I own a Ford Ranger with manual and have driven "straight shift" most of my adult life.

Sam

4. Colin

Colin Member

Never, actually. :)

I kinda prefer RHD for the novelty factor. Makes the Burger King drive-through a challenge, which is good since I need to lose some weight. :D

The only real issue with driving RHD cars in a LHD country is visibility when setting up for a pass. You've gotta duck over onto the shoulder to look around the vehicle or wait for a hill to see over it. That's not really relevant with these minitrucks, though, since you'll rarely encounter traffic moving slower than yourself. :rolleyes:

Colin

5. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

I wouldn't pay any more or less for a lefty. Unless it was one of those Philipino welded back together units. Then less for sure. I have little or no trouble with the rhd mitsu shifting. BUt I've had rhd minis before and been a mailman for 10 years. Had a rhd jeep before that. I suppose that might help. But from a sales perspective, when it comes to Antique British cars and trucks at collector auctions, RHD hurts the sale price with very rare exception. Put two identical cars side by side and ones a rhd, the lefty pulls more money. So there may be something there. But it might only be 200 bucks of something. My 2 cents. Greg

6. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Thanks for the feedback. I guess as mini trucks become more popular, people just won't care? For me, I'd rather want the lhd if I were in a lhd country. Even in Canada where mini trucks are driven on the road, I hear less and less about the "problems" of driving a rhd. One of the biggest issues was turning corners, but that is less of a problem with the truck than a sports car with a large pilar obstructing the view.

7. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

I' am an old "coot" that hates change!(creature of habit) But, I wouldn't want a left hand drive. I think the "mystique" and the novelty would be lost. No "head turning". I now, have NO trouble with shifting or turning. The only trouble I still occasionally have is, "wipers vs turn signal" I' am goi'n through a lot of wiper fluid!

8. myhijet

myhijet Member

I put a sprayer in the back in the summer to keep weeds in fields at bay. I find the rhd a benefit since I am right handed. I run the spray gun with my right hand which I found out is by far easier.

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

RHD for me took seconds to get used to. I constantly swap between LHD and RHD vehicles now, with no problems. I find that I actually prefer the RHD, as these vehicles are at a distinct disadvantage with anything larger than a motorcycle. RHD hedges my bets, even if only a miniscule amount. ;)

10. DRW

DRW Member

Everyone I know that is interested in mini-trucks is looking for an ATV or UTV replacement with a cab and heater,I have never heard anyone complain about the RHD,to me it just adds a little more novelty to the trucks.The RHD is probably a bit safer as the driver is a few feet further away from oncoming traffic here in the U.S.

11. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

DRW never thought of the oncoming traffic............good point.

12. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

The traffic issue is sometimes what Canadians tell us is the issue. Making a left turn is more difficult in a rhd vehicle. But in Canada there are more and more rhd vehicles, so people seem to be getting use to them. And, for driving, I've driven lhd German vehicles here, and get used to driving them.

Thanks for all the imput! It seems like we should just leave the trucks as they are!

13. buyargo

buyargo New Member

Left Hand or Right Hand

From a dealer standpoint in the powersports industry, it would be another selling point for the salesperson if it were left hand. When comparing it to a Ranger or Prowler UTV, most people dont like change, so having it Left hand would help. I'd pay another $850 for left hand on a newer 2003 - 2008 Suzuki Carry.

14. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

I have to disagree. Right hand drive is no different then left hand drive. If it was a problem, the boating industry would have changed boats to left hand drive along time ago.

15. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

That a boy "Z"!
    tmikewww

16. Colin

Colin Member

It's almost a taboo... when I drive around in the summer with the windows down, I can hear people say "He's driving on the WRONG SIDE!!!" It's the other side, dammit! :rolleyes:

Colin

17. Harvy50

Harvy50 New Member

Hi Folks,
    After driving my 1990 Suzuki for about a week now, I really had no diffiulty with the RHD. I did find shifting with my left hand confusing at the start and now I feel I have mastered that also. However, I am having trouble driving my 5 speed Pontiac wave. Every time I try to shift, I whack my left hand on the door handle. :)

18. kiowacampers

kiowacampers Member

That is just toooo funny...just like getting in on the wrong side of the door.....

19. confuzed

confuzed Member

The only problems are wipers on on a sunny day means left turn and I tell every one I'm saftey concious that is why I circle check my vehicle before getting in ( opps wrong door) secret is never reach for the door handle untill you can see the steering wheel. I have no problems with turning or shifting came in minutes once got used to the closeness of the gears. Passing? What is that? Where would the novelty be in a LHD? You never step out into traffic to exit the truck .Laugh at the idiots that like to park so close you can't get in your vehicle if they can get out you can get in they are blocking the WRONG SIDE LOL. How else can the dog sit up and see the road from my view? Hilarious when the wife reads a paper and I'm driving now those are terrified looks in the other cars.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  20. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yes, for sure.

RHD is simply a mental block. If you cannot drive RHd comfortably in under 10 mins, you probably have some sort of mental deficiency or learning disorder and you likely shouldnt be driving at all. Sorry, but its true.

So, LHD is important if you have a lot of challenged people in your territory.

My favorite RHD story:

We had (several) RHD Rover Mini's. This 82 year old lady comes in with her 60+ year old daughter and proceeds to give os all hell about the RHD.

My salesman said, "Fine, you now have to drive this vehicle, and it is not an option".

After forcing her to drive the car, she came back with a grin on her face and checkbook in hand. Sold!

If an 82 year old great gramma can do it, so can anyone else.

21. Rural

Rural Member

Like Wolfman, I was comfortable with RHD in seconds. On occasion, I've let friends or co-workers take the Sambar out for a test drive. They were all perfectly comfortable within a minute or two. The signal versus wiper and hopping into the wrong door are the two adjustments that take some time.

Passing is not really an issue. I have passed exactly once with the Sambar in the five months I've owned it.

About the only time I have an issue is at intersections where there are two lanes or a lane and an advance. When turning left at such an intersection and an oncoming driver is also turning to her left, it is slightly harder to see around her vehicle to check if there is a vehicle in the oncoming rightmost (their right) lane. With all the big trucks around here, I have the same problem in our LHD car, but not as much as in the Sambar. Either way, I don't pull out until I'm sure the lane is going to be clear.

Can't say that I'd pay more for a LHD. I'd lose the fun of people pulling up at a set of lights or stop and looking over to see my four-year-old son smiling at them from the left seat.

22. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i like my RHD...i don't i would have bought it in the first place if it wasn't. now i use my truck just for fun in the summer so it is more of a toy then anything :D i don't have any trouble driving it even the day i first got it and drove it home, like tmikewww, at first i used the windshield wiper lever a few times on the way home when i picked it up but other then that it was an easy change. it seems like a lot of you in the usa use these for work and then LHD might be better, but it takes all the fun out of it :D
    oh...no problems passing or turning left...really good for turning right!!
    wyatt

23. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

oh one more thing...on going to the wrong door...it has never happened to me but when my wife is with me she is always going to the right side :D, i ask "our you driving?" but she always says no :D good times good times

wyatt

24. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

:D:D:D

wyatt