1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED tail lights aren't working properly

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by JonP, Apr 25, 2020.

1. JonP

JonP Member

I installed some LED tail lights in my 93 Carry, and thought everything was working. Realized at night that the running lights work, but when you push the brake pedal, they don't get any brighter.

Any suggestions? There's only 3 wires that control the brake light, so not really possible to mess up. I did end up having to install two resistors for the turn signals, because they were hyper flashing. So I'm wondering, do I need to install a resistor or something with the brake lights?

2. McDumpface

McDumpface New Member

This might sound a little silly but, another way to look at it is your lights don't get dimmer when you don't press the brake. Try swapping your tail light and brake light wires.

3. JonP

JonP Member

So there are 3 wires coming from the harness to the brakes (not the turn signal). There is a red/blue, black, and green/white. From my new taillights there are red, black, and yellow. I did red/red, black/black, and green/yellow. But you are suggesting swapping the red and yellow wires, right? Black is ground, I think.

4. McDumpface

McDumpface New Member

Yes, as long as you are sure that black is ground, swap the other two, you cannot do any harm.
    Do you have a multi meter to test your truck wires?
    With the lights on, only one wire should have power, with your foot on the brake the other one should have power (or both if you have your foot on the brake and your lights on). When your are sure what is what with the truck, you need to be sure which wire is ground on the lights.
    Do you have a schematic / wire diagram with the new lights? if so send me a picture, so I can confirm

Limestone likes this.
  5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’m guessing they may be ground switched, and you have the polarity of the led reversed.

Limestone likes this.
  6. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

yeah cause mine work fine....

they do fast blink, but i dont care about that. they are SUPER Bright!~

the wire colors on mine are Yellow, Brown & black. i just hooked them up 1 wire at a time from the old lights to the new ones. that way you know the wires are in the right place.

7. JonP

JonP Member

Holy crap, you were right. I couldn't find my multi meter, but I just swapped the two wires and they work fine now. Who would've thought red wouldn't go to red, but to green, and yellow would go to red.

Thank you so much! I owe ya a beer!

8. McDumpface

McDumpface New Member

Glad that worked for you, and that they werent ground switched, that would have been a nightmare to wire up. I came across some strange wire colours when wiring up my radio, so I learned trust nothing, test everything!

Limestone likes this.
  9. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

These thing's have the craziest wiring, that I have ever seen!

10. installater

installater Active Member

Mama told me to come/ I can name that tune in 3 notes
    Thats why I ran fuse block and rocker switches except for the 3rd brake
    It's FUN or AGGRAVATING maybe both
    Regards
    Brian

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I also ran relays and used the factory wiring as the control wiring for the relay. First it saved all the issues with the ground control, and second the factory wiring was tiny, 18-gauge at the largest, and a lot of it as small as 22-gauge.