1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED Lights, are the Wattages Correct?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Jigs-n-fixtures, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

So, I’m working on a light bar to run in the winter when I have the plow mounted. Because with the plow raised all the way up, you can’t see the stock headlights and turn signals.

I calculated the wire size I’d need by dividing the advertised Wattage of the lights, by ten. (I know it should e 12.6. But, I can divide by ten in my head really well. 12.6 is a bit harder, and takes more time. Plus, dividing by ten gives me a comfortable safety margin.).

Anyway, the amps for the headlights indicates I need a 10-guage wire. The lights have a 20, or possibly even a 22-guage wire, which is really undersized for the Wattage, they are advertising. So, I’m not sure what is going on.

I don’t mind running oversized wire, it isn’t that expensive. But, if I total out the wattage of all the lights, and divide by ten, I’m at 37-amps, with a 35-amp alternator, and will need to upgrade it one with a higher output. I checked out one of the “Denso Mini Alternators” at the parts house, and it looks like a bolt in on my Hijet S110P, with only the upgrading of the output wire to the battery feed wire from the alternator.

So, the question I have is: Are the LED light wattages, really accurate? Or, are they doing some kind of equivalence rating similar to how the house hold LED replacements are listed as a “60Watt”, even though they are actually only 10-Watts, because the lumen output is equivalent to that of a 60-Watt incandescent bulb?

2. David Ogden

David Ogden Member

LEDs are rated by the equivalent wattage output for example a 60 watt led light bulb uses only 9 watts.

3. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Some are and some aren't. I know if you buy them off of ebay all bets are off. I saw one guy had a 4 pack of 36watt leds and declared them to be 144w each even though that was the total watts. Others are advertised in watt equivalent as David said.