1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED headlights

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by bobjonah, Feb 28, 2018.

1. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

I meant more like the lenses. A 5×7 lens that will fit the grill what did you use. The housing for the bulbs?

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The head lights on your Hijet are a standard bulb type, H6054, or H5054 if they are rectangular, and H7 if they are round. But, the ones it showed up with are probably meant for areas where they drive on the left, and the beam pattern will be wrong in North America, and throw glare into oncoming traffic. You should be able to buy a pair of LED bulbs, which fit in the headlight buckets on your truck at any auto parts store.

But your headlights are ground controlled, and LED bulbs won’t work with out a conversion relay. The stock incandescent bulbs don’t care what direction the current goes. LEDs do. Toyota, Daihatsu, Subaru, and Datsun/Nisan, have used the ground control system, until LED head lights became standard,, and our trucks are generally old enough that they are wired for ground controlled lights

The headlight conversion relays are available on Amazon, for $20 to $30. Or, any auto parts place can order them for you. Search for negative switched headlight conversion.

Installation is straight forward. There is spot behind the front fascia panel which runs from head light bucket to headlight bucket. I pulled teh headlight harness, and my speaker wire through it. There will probably be room behind the LED replacement bulb to mount the two relays. I ran a hot lead back to the battery, because the LED bulbs draw more than the stock bulbs, and it is lots easier to be safe and run a #12 wire to the battery, than to have to rewire the entire truck because you overloaded the wiring harness, and it smoked.

3. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

My stock headlights are the bulb rectangular 5×7 bulbs. There's no replacing just the part that light it's self. I don't think headlight replacement was the same back when my truck was made as they are now. My trucks 31 years old.

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Yes, old school, sealed beams. You replace the full assembly just like you do the sealed bulbs in your house.

Advantage is that they are not vehicle specific, so you can buy a new one, or the led replacement, at any parts house for not much money. Downside is they are a large flat thing, right up front, which makes getting an aerodynamic body shape pretty much impossible.

But you have a Hijet, which is pretty much a much larger, “big flat thing”, which is impossible to make aerodynamic.

Limestone likes this.
  5. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

What is the brand you went with? I've seen some led lights that were 5×7-6×7 that should fit in the place of my old one . They are 5×7. And is the driver's side headlight bigger than the passenger side?