1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED headlights

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by bobjonah, Feb 28, 2018.

1. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Has anybody fitted LED headlights to a Daihatsu S83P ? If so, how did you convert the switched ground system to work as switched power ?

2. ttc

ttc Active Member

i have thought about it for my s110 but never bit the bullet

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Not familiar with your exact vehicle nor the lights you wish to install, but if you can figure out the mounting part, then the electrical part should be simply installing relays to do what needs to be done. Relays can be 'triggered' either by applying switched voltage or grounding and can be used to feed circuits needing switched voltage. Search relay for more info.

Fred

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

led head light should be plug and play

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

If the plug for the stock light will work, and the amp draw is not too much higher, then you should only need to verify that the polarity of you plug matches that of your new headlights. If the polarity doesn’t match, you’ll need to Modify the wiring at the relay. If you can find a schematic and post it, I can mark it up for you.

Jacob Whitman likes this.
  6. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I think I have it figured out. Problem is that the way they are wired ( switching to ground ) the polarity is wrong for the LED's. This is a common problem with Jap vehicles, and is not a problem with regular bulbs because they don't care about polarity.
    Anyway, I found a harness that plugs onto one of the vehicle H4 plugs which feeds two relays that in turn plug onto the lights and power the high and low beams with proper polarity. It allows the DaihatsuIt should arrive next week.

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

Cool I have one headlight that is like a candle now. Need to check if it's a bulb issue or a wiring but inwantefbto swap to led to reduce the power draw. High beams, heater on bust and wipers pretty much will tap out he 40 amp alternator

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

You can get higher amperage alternators. Look for “mini alternator race”, on eBay or Amazon. The stock is 30-35 Amp, depending on whether you had AC. The race ones are available in 1 or 3 wire versions, up to 90-Amps. I did a post on them a while back, titled: “Better Alternators”. Which gives some details on the wiring.

Liberty4Ever likes this.
  9. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Well, the relay harness did the trick. the RH headlight plug powers two relays that run the hi and low beams, so all controls are normal. Lots of room behind the front panel for mounting the relays, and I just had to run a power wire from the alternator. LED lights are fantastic - I can see and be seen.
    My lights also have a DRL feature that I powered off the ignition switch, so they are on all the time and off when the key is off - almost like modern cars

10. ttc

ttc Active Member

what ones did you buy? can you post up some pics? i just ordered some led tail lights as mine got beat off last summer backing into piles of dirt when i was building a road with the mini truck

11. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I have trouble posting letters let alone photos on the interweb - I'll try to get my son to do it for me this weekend

Cheers

12. ttc

ttc Active Member

got a link to the lights?

13. Jigs-n-fixtures

Actually the link to the relay system, or more informati9n such as manufacturer, would be appreciated. I’ve checked, eBay, Amazon, and done a Google search, and haven’t been able to source them.

14. ttc

ttc Active Member

i have looked at the led headlights on aliexpress. anything be better than the old candles in there now

15. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Some excellent info and a few diagrams for the use of relays at vintage watercooled.

Fred

16. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

17. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

https://www.amazon.ca/Approved-Daym...79537&sr=8-14&keywords=7"+x+5"+LED+Headlights
    Hopefully this link works. These are the lights that I have. I've not hooked up the signals yet, but the DRL is great and the lights themselves are fantastic. I had the signals working independently by running a parallel circuit off the signal bulb and also grounding them, but don't want to try with the DRL running until I figure it out a bit more - don't want to blow anything up if you know what I mean

18. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

19. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

It is very simple. You can change the order of the wires in the head lamp socket, or buy an adapter harness.
    upload_2022-12-31_12-6-25.jpeg

20. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

Where can I find the harness you're speaking of? Who sells them?

21. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

I picked mine up at a local auto supply store. They had to order them in for me.

22. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

What would I ask for? What are they called exactly?

23. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

They are called by various names, I know them as a switched polarity adapter, or reverse polarity adapter. If you can’t find one, just get the male and female ends from a spare harness and wire it up yourself. I can take nine out, clean it up and send you some pictures of it to follow.

24. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

Sure. That would be helpful. Thank you.

25. dale hynes

dale hynes Member

Go to my Facebook page, Rain Forest Mini Trucks. I have pictures and a description of the process, plus a lot of other hints etc.

26. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

Thank you very much . I will.

27. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

So I went to Rain forest mini trucks on facebook. And it's private . So I can't see your step by step process of led lights.

28. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Same here. Was going to look at it but can't see it.

29. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

So do you also tell us what lights you bought that fit in the grill? What brand?

30. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member