1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

leaky water pumps?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by geoffreyr66, Dec 21, 2007.

1. geoffreyr66

geoffreyr66 Member

Has anyone experienced leaky water pumps?
    I have a 91 Carry, When I bought it, the water pump had been replace due to a bad bearing. After exposing the the vehicle it its first real "cold" (-15 C) I discovered the coolant wasn't strong enough for that temperature. As a result of the Freeze, I had to replace the water pump gasket. A day after the water pump gasket replacement (and 50 kms), I have a small coolant leak coming from the front cover again. Before I open the front cover again to investigate, I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced anything like this before and had any recommendations.
    thanks
    Geo

2. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Looks like you'll have to re-remove the timing cover again and find where it's leaking from...the weep hole under the neck, or the gasket. You only have the bearing, seal, or gasket to go bad.
    Sorry..it rarely gets below 60 degrees here. Rarely even need a choke.

3. geoffreyr66

geoffreyr66 Member

Thanks for the input Don-in-japan!
    Looks like its the weep hole this time. When you say the hole under the neck, I trust you are talking about the extension on pump housing at the very botton of the assembly. When viewing it staright on it comes off the housing at about the 4:00 position, yes?
    I'll try to post a pic of the water pump. In the pic, what I believe is the weep hole is at the end of the extension located in the 5:00 position in this pic. Correct???
    Any suggestions on how to gain access to the bearing seal on the water pump?
    (removal of the pulley and extraction of old seal)

Attached Files:

4. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Generally, these pumps aren't rebuildable..they are just replaced. $50 is the average price.

5. geoffreyr66

geoffreyr66 Member

Bummer. This is a new pump. Installed by the Importer before I bought it. It has maybe 250 kms on it. On well!
    thanks Don-in-japan!!
    Happy Holidays!

6. WILDCAT

WILDCAT New Member

Sir geoffreyr66:
    If it is still covered by the warranty, have it replaced by the dealer for free.
    I have experience leaking pump found by the mechanic, it was replaced by my dealer.