1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

leaks - coolant in the oil and 2nd has oil in the coolant

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by ed ewert, Dec 24, 2015.

1. ed ewert

ed ewert New Member

I am looking at 2 suzuki trucks 1 has coolant in the oil and 2nd has oil in the coolant. The head gasket has been changed 2 times and still has oil in the coolant. Does anyone have suggestions to what may be wrong. I saw something about a frost plug in the head may be leaking.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Normally frost plugs are to the outside surface of the block or head, there should not be any on a surface that interfaces oil & water. Head gasket, crack in head or block, or erosion on the head or block surface would be suspect. Very close scrutiny around spark plug threads and valve seats may show crack that may open when warmed up, then seal again when cooled.

Fred

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Limestone and Joe Dover like this.
  3. ed ewert

ed ewert New Member

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

If you are referring to the post by Jim Nelson I believe the two plugs he is talking about will be found one on each end of the head as he does state that it could be done with the engine in the vehicle. Maybe he will see this and verify or not.

Fred

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

The F6 engine has 2 freeze plugs in the interior of the head in under the rocker arms and cam.They can be replaced with the engine in the truck if that's your only problem but the truck I was working on had been let go so long that the rings had rusted up and the whole engine was a mess so I had to go through it.
    Like Fred says most freeze plugs are external but these are in the head.

6. ed ewert

ed ewert New Member

So if I pull head off to go gaskets then I can do the frost plugs under the cam with no problems? Just trying to figure out if this will be a good buy before I jump on it. As I said 2 different trucks 1 has oil in coolant and other is coolant in oil.

7. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Yes you can do them,You can check them with a screw driver or ice pick to see if they are rusted out. A lot of these trucks seem to have no anti freeze or rust inhibitor in them when imported and the cooling systems are a mess. I've run into this with 3 that I've had.The fuel systems are often nearly as bad.Another thing that will cause problems with a dirty cooling system is the 2 lines that run through the carb. and control the choke and high idle will be plugged.

8. carl boutin

carl boutin New Member

I agree with you for the idle, i have cleaned my carb coolant lines and voila the idle went down almost immediatly, make sure that you bleed your system afterwards. Only issue i have now is the idle is too low and the truck vibrates at idle, i just cant find any way of changing it, it is a carry 1997 5 speed, if anyone has any idea I am open for suggestions. I have heard that the coolant when imported from Japan is mainly water with iron oxide so in reality it is rust! changed mine for proper coolant as I am in Ottawa Canada and the other day we had -25C and it started well without water heater or anything else, felt like I had a bunch of footballers in the transmission but since then change transmission oil for synthetic and all is good now. thank you all for the great info on this site. Happy new year.

9. what is the proper anti freeze for my early 80's Cushman White truck 4 cyl. Mitsubishi engine?

10. Joe Dover

Joe Dover New Member

I've just encountered #3 spark plug misfiring due to coolant seeping around it.
    Anyone any ideas? 3 cyl F6A Carburettor.
    I got kitchen towel and soaked up the water.
    Ran fine but started missing again....same problem. Where and how can the coolant get into the spark plug tube?
    Many thanks
    Joe