1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

leaking gas cap on left turns

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by oldsnowman, Aug 10, 2009.

1. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i was out yesterday driving around and i noticed i was using a lot of gas, and did not know what was going on until i pulled into a parking stall turning left into it and i could smell gas. i thought right away i had a carb problem, but after i looked around i seen a gas trail coming into the stall:mad:
    the thing i need to know is my gas cap vented or not? i will just buy a new nonlocking one. any idea's before i buy a bunch of gas caps?

thanks wyatt

2. starpuss

starpuss Member

are you sure it is your gas cap that is leaking? maYBe check over it a little more before you buy one. (i know on my hijet it is not vented)

3. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

yep it's the gas cap...it's leaking right passed the seal. it just pours out on left turns.

4. KeiEye

KeiEye Member

Mine too.

I don't fill mine above 3/4 coz it leaks as well.
    Which means I have to buy gas more often - like once every 3 months! :D
    k.

5. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i know what you mean...i filled mine full only twice, once when i picked up and one time i was driving around town and noticed gas coming out when i parked in front of my son's house. so i only fill to about 2/3's or 3/4's but on sunday it was only at half a tank. what was happening was as i turned left the fuel all went to the right side of the tank and passed the cap seal...this never happened before. so i am going to try to find a new seal or just get a new gas cap...this is the reason for the thread. i need to know if the cap is vented or not so i can get the right one. :)
    thanks for the input
    wyatt

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I have not seen a truck yet that had a vented gas cap. I believe all fuel systems on all the trucks(models) imported will be a vacuumed system. Even the Japanese have EPA rules.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    On another note, If you have a check engine light on thats on, one of the first thing that needs to be checked is your seal around gas cap. If the seal is bad and sucking air sometimes it will throw a light.

7. Wyldeman

Wyldeman New Member

Make 3 rights and then you don't have to worry about any stinking left turns......lol
    Problem solved!!!!

8. zardoz

zardoz Member

If it's the same as my zuki it's a non vented cap ;)

z

9. maryswells

maryswells Member

I would say not vented. I know on a hot day when you take cap off my '96 Mits, lots of pressure is released. If it was vented, wouldn't be any pressure released. My opinion.

10. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hey wyldeman i will try that...it's cheeper then baying a new one. lol

thanks everyone for the info...has anyone replaced there gas cap, and do you have a part#?
    thanks
    wyatt

11. Wyldeman

Wyldeman New Member

I couldn't resist it.....I'm a humor person i see humor in most everything....Life it too short to ALWAYS be real serious!
    I didn't mean to offend you...it was in all fun....but think about it it really would work! lol

12. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

Hey no worries...funny is good!:D i kind of like the idea of all right turns, that way i can drive more:D
    wyatt

13. skolapper

skolapper New Member

i got out of my car yesterday and heard a loud buzz or squel noise i looked around in my garage and find its coming from my gas cap so i loosen it and it stops , so i was just thinking it would go away after that then while in taking stuff out my trunk it makes it again does anybody know why its doing this ?

14. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

sounds like a bad vent. it is probably air trying to get into the tank.

15. Mary Lee Scott

Mary Lee Scott New Member

I have a 94 Minicab with gas cap problems and also wonder what/where a new cap may be had? The foam sealing material rotted and a screw went missing, my guess into the gas tank. I used some inner tube to make a seal replacement but it does not feel right going on. I had the leakage problem earlier until I learned it has to be tightly twisted for a full seal. That was before the foam deteriorated. Help for a part number. Auto Zone was no help.

16. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I've seen fuel caps on Ebay occasionally foe Mini trucks! You'll have to do some searching!
    Limestone

17. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’ve replaced o-rings on several gas caps and got them to seal up again for several years. I had my old Toyota, for 24-years and replaced the o-ring on the cap every couple of years.

18. Mary Lee Scott

Mary Lee Scott New Member

I looked at my assortment of O Rings and didn't think any were as thick as the foam rubber material and certainly not as wide. I am open to any suggestions of substitutes however. The screw replacement was also a very make do as the threads are fine like jewelers threads and I had none that fine....so likely have re-threaded it to stabilize the cap internal parts.