1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn Mower Tires on Mini Trucks?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Samurai9, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I got my Hijet yesterday. Right off the delivery truck it was clear something was wrong. I was hearing a very loud thumping noise. A quick look at the tires showed that the front ones were hitting the body and wheel well and were being sliced to bits, even though the well had been chopped to make room for the tires, and despite the 3 inch lift. I have now spent hours trying to find smaller tires that will fit on the nice custom wheels. The existing tires are 25x11-12, Goodyear Rawhide Grip. I am considering replacing the front tires with Carlisle Turf Chief, 23x10.50-12. These are not mud tires but still have a fairly aggressive tread. Their load capacity is more than enough for the truck. I am hoping that the two inches smaller diameter will solve my scraping problem. I realize that I might have a bit more difficulty getting up steep hills in the woods. I also have the original wheels, which are 12x4 or 5 and very plain.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Samurai

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

10-12" wide! :eek: Thats probably most of your problem. Try to stay with no greater than 8" wide on the front. Seems alot of people like the Carlisle All-Trails.

3. dwink

dwink Member

I have the same tires except I have 25-8/12 on front and 25-10/12 on rear on series seven ITP's. 11's don't work on front!!!!!

4. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

So I can solve my problem with narrower tires at the front? I don't have to go to 23" diameter?

Thanks,

Samurai

5. greg0187

6. Dan

Dan Member

What ever you end up doing, make sure that you don't mix up the height of the tires. They have to match the same circumference all the way around for 4x4. the axles will try to turn at the same rate front and rear, and if the tires dont match, it will stress the drive train and wear out the tires prematurely

7. draggbody

draggbody Member

what is the width of the front rims?? if they are wide like the rear you will need different wheels as well... the offset may be part of your problem as well... can you take a few pics like strait down the side so we can see how much they stick out...

8. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Dan,

Thanks for the warning. I was considering the possiblity of putting 23 inch tires on the front and leaving the 25 inch tires on the rear. I prefer to retain the Motto wheels because they look so much better than the stock wheels. I still can't figure this thing out. The best thing for me would be to replace only the front tires and retain the custom wheels and the big back tires. Short of that, I would replace all four tires but keep the custom wheels, which I believe are 12x7. But it is essential that I eliminate the tire/body contact.

Thanks,

Samurai

9. greg0187

10. draggbody

draggbody Member

11. greg0187

Those tires look huge. It needs 3 more inches of lift.:D

12. greg0187

13. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

14. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't see how putting on a tire which is three inches narrower would solve the interference problem. Please explain. I guess I could put 23x10.5-12 all around. Wouldn't reducing the diameter by two inches do the job? Wouldn't this mean an extra inch of clearance around the front tires?

Thanks,

Samurai

15. greg0187

The question is "does it rub with the wheel straight". If it does then a narrower tire probably won't fix the problem. If it rubs when you turn then you will probably be OK with a narrower tire. I'm not sure what the offset of your wheels are but it looks to me that the bulk of the tire is under the truck. Typically you want a 5" of backspacing on a 7" wide wheel. That is where 5" of the wheel is to the inside of the hub and 2" to the outside of the hub.

-Greg

16. greg0187

BTW. I saw your nice shiny new red Ford at camp copperhead. ;)

17. dwink

dwink Member

Check your rim offset. I run 25's with a 4 + 3 offset, 4 being the inside offset. The narrower tire will work in this setup. Did you buy this truck already set up like this or did you buy these wheels and put on there?

18. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

dwink,

I would not put on tires which are too big and run them for six months while they are being cut up by the truck body. That is what the prior owner did, and his father owns a tire store! No, the truck arrived on Wednesday and I haven't done a thing to it.

I will check on the wheel offset, about which I know nothing. I am not a car person, I am a gun nut, among other things.

I bought 38 acres in Cheatham County, TN, last summer. I have cleared a road up to some small waterfalls and then improved the old logging road on the other side. Now you can drive from one end of my property to the other, over one of the waterfalls. The truck photos (Samurai99 album on Photobucket) show my new 2003 F150 with four wheel drive and offroad package going over the waterfall. I am delighted that this truck can go right up the steep hill without a slip. The Hijet did the same thing on Wednesday. I bought it for going through the woods and brambles. The Ford is too big and nice to do that. I am very grateful for the suggestions and comments. I have relatives coming to town in a week and would like to have the Hijet squared away by then.

The front tires seem to be hitting only when the steering wheel is turned. I turned the steering wheel, got out of the truck, and could see where the tires were hitting the body--mainly to the back. The wheel wells have been cut to make more space and I don't think I want to cut any more.

Samurai

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  19. draggbody

draggbody Member

your thinking is correct w/ the smaller tire, but the narrower tires work... if you want to keep that wide stance, you could try the shorter tire, but i dont know... i like the tall skinny look and it usually only requires minimal trimming... take it for what its worth....

20. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Mr. Draggbody,

Based on what people are telling me, I should be able to replace the Goodyear Rawhide Grip tires at the front (now 25x11-12) with narrower tires (25x8-12) and eliminate the hitting. Do you agree? Can I put the narrower tires on the existing seven inch wide wheels?

Thanks,

Samurai

21. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Greg,

The front tires do not hit when the truck is going straight, only when turning. But this is unloaded and without any bouncing.

If you are correct, I could switch the front tires to a narrower Rawhide Grip (25x8-12). Then I could keep the rear tires
    (25x11-12), which are in very good condition and not hitting. I would then have the same look front and back and the same aggressive tread for going up hills.

How say you?

Samurai

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  22. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

23. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

24. greg0187

I can't tell you for sure that it will not rub if U use 25x8 but I can tell you that it will help tremedously. R U sure it is a 3" lift?

-Greg

25. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Greg,

No I am not sure if there is a three inch lift. This is what the seller told me but the lift was already in place when he got the truck about six months ago. I asked him if the lift had caused any problems. He said that the left cv boot was hitting something and ripped but he tightened it down and that eliminated the problem. So I am sure the truck has been lifted, but I cannot be sure of the amount.

Samurai

26. greg0187

If U look at the top of the front strut you should see a spacer. That will tell you what the lift is. The main problem I think you will be facing is "Do you replace all 4 tires or just 2" That is the gamble you will have to take. There are not too many people on this board running anything greater than an 8" wide tire on the front, and its my understanding that a 25x8" tire w/3" lift w/ minimal trimming should work fine.
    -Greg

27. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Thanks, Greg. I will look for the spacer. The door and wheel wells have already been hacked to make room for the tires. I am going to look for a local (Nashville) source for these tires. They are Goodyears, after all. I can order them from Moto4less for a decent price and shipping cost.

Samurai

28. Dan

Dan Member

Looks to me to be a diameter problem. and theres no more room to cut anything. looks like you're cut out right up to the seams. I think you were on the right track in the beginning, when you mentioned a smaller tire diameter. narrowing may help solve the rub on the flat ground but you will still have only marginal clearance for the rough terrain.

29. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Dan,

The truck was cut when I got it. I would not do that. I would have gotten tires that would have worked with the truck the way it was built. On the other hand, the truck must have tires that make it drive well off-road.

I can't afford to buy new tires that don't solve my problem completely. I think the safest action would be replacing the front tires with two which are both narrower in diameter and in width. This will necessitate replacing the perfectly good rear tires in order to have the same diameter front and back, as other have pointed out.

Samurai

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  30. greg0187

If you put smaller tires only on the front. Don't use the 4WD.