1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KS4 Side View Mirror Options

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Jose M., Mar 14, 2020.

1. Jose M.

Jose M. New Member

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing several different sites for our side view mirrors and the prices are ridiculously high. We're looking at $140 for a used pair or $200+ new. Even if I decide to invest in the pair, I'm worried they won't last too long. Both my mirrors cracked where it mounts on the adjusting bolt and I've seen the same problem on other trucks, so I'd rather not spend so much on something that may not last long.

Has anyone tried a universal mirror that fits well on our trucks, or know of any other sites that sell them used for cheaper? Are there other kei truck models such as Honda with a similar mounting design? The van mirrors look very sturdy, but I haven't had luck finding a black pair for sale.

Thanks,
    Jose M.

2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I have seen a number of posts about those mirrors with issues. I wonder if the small side mirrors that mine has would be a better option? I know they are smaller, but they seem to be sturdy.

3. Jose M.

Jose M. New Member

Hi Ohkei, what mirrors did you replace your stock ones with? Does it cover the three mounting holes on the door?

4. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Mine are stock. I just don't have the fancy ones like you do.

5. Jose M.

Jose M. New Member

My mirrors look stock too from all the options I've seen online. One of them was drilled and secured with a metal band to prevent it from falling off.

Attached Files:

6. banzairx7

banzairx7 Active Member

This is timely. My drivers side mirror cracked in that exact spot on Thursday. It was just the force of the wind @ 70mph that did it. I'll see if I can come up with a different option that is sturdier and cheaper. Something with a little less aero drag would be nice too.

Jose M. likes this.
  7. cop on my back

cop on my back Active Member

I have one used passenger side (left side) mirror available, it is not cracked.

8. banzairx7

banzairx7 Active Member

Jose M., Adam Wheeler and Limestone like this.
  9. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

I have some used mirrors, I have been meaning to take photos and list them on eBay for a while..

But, on another point.. does that $200 for a pair of new mirrors include shipping? They sell for about $45 per side at Japanese dealers, and shipping here should only be $30 or so...

The van mirrors are quite a bit more though.. $150 per side brand new at the dealer.

10. Jose M.

Jose M. New Member

Yokohama offers a pair from Japan for $238 including shipping. minitruckgarage sells each mirror for $92 with free shipping. One Japanese seller on eBay sells a used pair for $140. Which Japanese dealers are you referring to?

On another note, I ordered a pair of universal mirrors. They just came in the mail, so I'll see how they look on the original mirror mount that bolts to the door.

11. Adam Wheeler

Adam Wheeler Active Member

The OEM ones on mine snapped in the exact same spots as yours did. I found a pair from the van version of these trucks on https://autoparts.beforward.jp/ its a japan auto wreckers. I believe I paid 63$ for each mirror and shipping to Canada was about $90.

Attached Files:

• g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      File size:
      486.5 KB
      Views:
    Jose M. likes this.
  12. Jose M.

Jose M. New Member

I've visited that website and it's very expensive, even for a single used mirror. I love the van mirrors because it doesn't look as susceptible to cracking compared to the truck version. I haven't seen a pair of black van mirrors for sale though.

The universal mirrors turned out good, but I needed to do some work to make them fit. I ordered a pair of scooter/motorcycle mirrors off Amazon and bolted them on my old mirror mounts. I replaced the allen bolts that came with them with 2 inch 3/8 bolts and washers. I drilled through the existing holes on the new mirrors to allow the bolts to pass through freely. The ends of the mirror clamps were scraping my windows, so I had to grind and file them down to avoid scratching the glass. My left window is a bit loose, so I had to file that mirror more, nearly down to the screw.

They're a bit small, but they work fine and are very affordable.

Attached Files:

13. banzairx7

banzairx7 Active Member

That came out pretty good. Wouldn't have guessed those mirrors would look as at home as they do on there.

14. Jose M.

Jose M. New Member

Hello again everyone!

I decided to try another set of mirrors because after all that sanding down, the mirrors would still scrape the window as I rolled them up. Uploaded a picture of the damage :(

I ordered these round motorcycles mirrors off of J&P Cycles and they clear the windows perfectly. I just used 5/16 spacers and the included hardware. No whistling at high speeds, rattling, or scraping, so it was a great deal for $34.

Attached Files:

Limestone likes this.
  15. banzairx7

banzairx7 Active Member

Almost looks factory!