1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kei trucks in UK

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by w3526602, Jun 7, 2010.

1. w3526602

w3526602 New Member

Hi,

I'm new here. I did put a short intro somewhere, not sure where.

I have just bought a Daihatsu Hi-jet pick-up truck from Ebay (UK). As yet, I haven't even seen it, but plan to collect it from London on Wednesday, drive it back to South Wales, about 200 miles.

We were planning to buy a Jap double cab pick-up, cos our dog spits like a shotgun. Then my wife suggested that a demountable caravan would enable us to sell our trailer caravan. Just as a joke, I copied her an Ebay listing for a Honda Acty with a demountable camper pod. And suddenly thats what we had to have.

If the idea of a micro camper seems a bit alian to those of you in the USA, I can try and find some UK web-sites with pictures.

Anyway, mine will be home in a couple of days, and I'll try to post some pictures. First move will be to make some sort of box for the dog (his name is BLITZ ..... does that mean anything in USA. Think blitzkrieg). He is well named. After that, I will look into buying a Romahome demountable, or maybe even build my own livong pod.

More anon

602 (OK, just this once, name is John Williams. 602 is the "last three" of my old Royal Air Force number. No, I didn't fly .... arms were not strong enough.)

2. w3526602

w3526602 New Member

Hi again,

Log onto http://www.actyvan.net/ where you will find a couple of pics of camper pod on a Honda Acty

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Cool..welcome aboard and good luck with the caravan project..search motorhome/camper on this site and there are many versions posted over the years ,that may give you some ideas...make sure to post pics:pop::)

4. w3526602

w3526602 New Member

Hi,

I've now got my Hijet home, and found lots of things that the vendor didn't mention on his Ebay listing. Par for the course, I suppose.

Anyway, I am now going to try to post a picture, fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

The "hamper" on the back was used as an advertising hoarding .... now removed .... built from thin plywood on a structure built from 6"x2" timber. Overkill!

Problems? The O2 sensor needs replacing .... I wonder what one of them is?

My wife says the seats are dirty. Are there any other seats that will fit easily?

Starter motor seems reluctant sometimes ..... I'm hoping its a bad earth between chassis and battery.

Vendor did not know when cam belt was last changed. £££???

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

piaggo porter seats will fit your truck...as for timing belt ebay.uk around 25gbp

6. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

welcome aboard! the advertising board you should re-sell lol!

seats - vinyl or cloth?

starter - ya check that ground first i suggest.

7. w3526602

w3526602 New Member

Hi,

The saga continues. Returned to my truck parked in supermarket car park. Turned key ...... Zilch! Switched on side lamps .... zilch! Grabbed battery EARTH (ground) lead, and twisted. Sort of almost falling off, but truck started OK afterwards.

Got home, pulled the battery. Ah! Tiny little battery terminals, which I understand are standard on Jap vehicles. I've never met them before. But my clamps are normal UK/Europeon size, with lead sleeves to convert to the smaller battery posts. Whatever, there ain't enough metal to clamp down, even when nut and bolt are tight.
    So I check my electrical component catalogue ..... no mention of Japanese clamps. So do Google for JAPANESE BATTERY TERMINALS ....... couldn't find any clamps, but did find some of the aformentioned sleeves. £6.36 plus over £4 postage. This is getting silly.

There are not that many KEI trucks driving round the Swansea Valley (though I did see THREE Suzuki Carry vans today). So, are these small clamps normal to ALL Jap vehicles in UK....... can I go into a breakers yard with a of bolt croppers, and pull a couple of a Nissan Micra or similar. Or is there somewhere I can buy them new, at a sensible price?