1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kei class are legal in SOME states

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by comprodigy, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Most (if not all states) recognize out of state plates as legal registration of a motor vehicle. Most states will also readily issue a title for a "grey market" vehicle, if they have a legal title from another state - U.S. vin or not. I've owned a grey market eurospec Mercedes 240D as well. It had no U.S. vin. As for ABC's claim that they will not pass emissions. This is false. The first minitruck to be registered for road use in Texas, was registered in Tarrant County - an emissions county. The truck passed, after the owner had a leaky exhaust pipe fixed. If one fails an emissions test, then there is likely some kind of problem with the truck that requires attention. Mine was the second one to be registered for on road use. We have no restrictions whatsoever as to what roads we may drive on. I've had mine on state and U.S. highways, as well as local interstates.

I know that ABC does not like the idea of these trucks getting used on road. However, the EPA cannot deny state soverengty. If a state decides to allow these trucks on the roads, there is little that the EPA can do about it, beyond threatening the states with the loss of highway repair funds.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. jpfanne

jpfanne Member

I've been in contact with a State Representative here in Missouri. He wants to buy a truck but his neighbor has one and has been ticketed twice for driving it on public roads. He told me that they do not meet the ATV laws in Missouri, (which requires a red flag and SMV triangle). So, the way the law is here, you can't drive them anywhere but off-roads. He is looking into getting legislation in Missouri changed so that they at least have specific rules for these trucks. They do not fall under normal vehicle rules, and they don't fall under ATV rules. He just wants to try and get some specific rules just for these trucks....what the outcome of that will be is still up in the air.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.