1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kei class are legal in SOME states

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by comprodigy, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minidump

minidump New Member

chinese three wheel

nee. i dont like it send it back to china.

2. akswinehart

akswinehart New Member

I agree, I'm sure its crap, but I can't believe its street legal!!! what happens if you take a turn to fast? i had a 3 wheeler atv growing up and always flipped it...

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

check out the nice dent above the windshield. :D Body damage as standard equipment. :D

4. minidump

minidump New Member

the more i look at this photo the more i laugh. What, did the person decide that the photo needed something more? "Ill add some cows with photoshop., There, thats better!"

lolol

5. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

There must be a good reason why most ATV have 4 wheels. I'd be awfully unsure of its stability in mildly rough terrain. Imagine flipping over with a heavy load. At least you could probably pick one up with one hand...

6. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

You can see that "vent" must be it's a/c...nice Chinese innovation.

7. Brian Shirley

Brian Shirley New Member

I have talked to Wildfire motors about how they are legal. They are classified a motorcycles.

8. d rock

d rock Member

whoa! while its true we can get the kei trucks on the roads up here BC is the toughest province of them all. just ask all the guys over on www.ivoac.ca about that!

9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman New Member

Anybody think I can squeeze it by New Jersey DMV? :confused:

10. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

This is interesting. If they are passing as motorcycles, yet have the same sized engine as a mini truck, perhaps mini trucks can be petitioned in the motorcycle category too. If I'm not mistaken, there are 4 wheel ATVs with licenses too (up to the state)?

11. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

All you can do is ask around. The worst they can say is no.

12. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Member

You can check to see if your state allows "Special Mobile Equipment" registration. Maine does offer it and I have been told by the State that they can be registered that way. I didn't mention it to person I spoke to but I know that it still will not be legal in the eyes of the EPA so your experience will vary.

13. stevert

stevert Member

The Federal Government agency D.O.T. / NHSTA

8. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ Site/pages/page2.html

"A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used". :eek::eek::eek:

Anyone got a 1983 or earlier they want to sell ?!?!?!:eek:

On ebay I saw a 1980 model year that was "FEDERALLY LEGAL" to be driven ON ROAD. This prompted my research.

14. stevert

stevert Member

WRONG! Read above...

15. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

This is not news and has been discussed on these forums before. Yes, if the truck (or any car) is 25 years or older they can, generally, be registered in the U.S. I posted a fun ebay auction of an old Sambar a while back that could (and was) legally registered. The problem is most of those older trucks are even smaller in size and have even smaller engines than the vast majority of the Kei class trucks being imported now. What abcminitrucks said is true...for vehicles that are younger than 25 years.

16. stevert

stevert Member

Ummm Oh. Im new and had not taken the time to read all the replies other that this one. I was only responding to

"it is Federal Law that makes these trucks for OFF ROAD USE ONLY"

I did not see comment of 25+ years...

Besides, Can't a reman or newer motor be installed?

17. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

My truck is plated and titled as an on road motor vehicle. I've stated before that this is what the state granted. By STATE statutes, my vehicle passed the required rules applicable for Texas to be registered. By EPA standards, I'm in violation of THEIR rules. So, if there are people who want to register them for on road use, they need to get with their state to see if they will allow it. Some will, most won't. If your state will allow them to be plated for on road use, then you do so, knowing full well that this is circumventing the feds - who I think are idiots for putting the rediculous restrictions in place. Now, I don't expect the feds to come knocking on my door to hold me at gunpoint while dragging my truck away, especially since it came here properly modified to pass customs. Anyone (myself included) who puts them on the roads in the U.S., assumes the responsibilities for any consequences of their actions - whatever they may be.

18. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Haw many 1983 or older RUNNING KEI trucks have you seen in the US?...I did not mention the 25 year old exception becuase it is rare.
    But always great to hear from a rookie know it all. :frustration::frustration:

19. stevert

stevert Member

What..... You think you know it all?????(BIG FISH, LITTLE POND SYNDROME) Thanks for the rookie comment in the negative connitation you imply You A$$! :mad: The info you didn't state that I happen to was becuase of you wrote the word "ONLY"! For new "ROOKIES" like myself looking for info in your little pond (THIS IS YOUR WORLD BOSS, I'M JUST TRY'N TO GET A NUT) of a forum, I felt it worthy to post accurate info as to state every possibility of legal ownership you chose not to mention (WHATS GOOD FOR BUSH IS GOOD FOR THE COUNTRY...WHATS GOOD FOR ABCMINITRUCK IS GOOD FOR ALL). Apperently you have issues with mini trucks on the road becuase it may hurt how you profit as you seem to state, despite what most on people do want.:sly: I wanted to state that 83 model year or older can be on the road for those ROOKIES that may have not known. The topic was not about the mechanical state or condition! Though, I would have no problem restoring that year model to new condition as I'm sure others would be willing to do. Just stating "UN BIAS" accurate FACTS so people who come to forums like this one have "ALL" the facts as trivial as you may think it is. Acerguy... rather then a welcome from you... I get a HEY YOU STUPID like comment in defense of you sand box buddy (THE WORLD ACCORDING TO ABCMINITRUCK) ABC "JOESPH STALIN" MINITRUCKS. Sorry to have wasted text and cluttering it with info you may already know!!!!! I didn't mean to mess up you forum here with info only ABCMINITRUCKS (POND SHARK) is qualified to post. Really dude..... You need to get a life.

20. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Thanks for the kind words. I am sure you will get what you are looking for with an attidude like that. No wonder the government officals would not listen to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.