1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep rain guards or not?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by maboyce, May 17, 2023.

1. maboyce

maboyce Active Member

The driver's side rain guard on my truck came with a big chunk cracked out of it, so last night I used a heat gun and removed the rest. I didn't particularly enjoy having it on there, because I kept thinking a window was rolled down when it was just the edge of the rain guard showing through the window. But it does look like it did a good job keeping water away from the window seal at the top, which is pretty loose. I'm not planning on doing a lot of driving in the rain, but still, I don't want to have introduced a big leak point. Should I replace the rain guard for $40 - $80, or remove the other one for $0?

2. GeoJoe

GeoJoe Member

I just cracked a chunk out of my original driver's side "window vent" (as they are known in a parts list) and decided to replace them with new OEM. Surprisingly I found them on eBay and shipped from Japan - but they weren't cheap. $130 with shipping. I think they complete the look of the truck, with functionality too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta love Google Lens for translation
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and I have some clips for sale or trade if anyone needs them

[​IMG]

3. maboyce

maboyce Active Member

Interesting - the Daihatsu ones are installed basically the same way, with two little metal clips per side.

4. 4x4prepper

4x4prepper New Member

I would replace them, besides acting as a rain guard, they act as a sun visor, and help keep the direct sunlight from cooking the interior too. I like having them on my trucks whenever possible. Properly designed, much of the rain will fall away from the truck, not slide down the window glass and hit the weatherstrip.