1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought my mini truck and a little concerned

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by JDW, Dec 19, 2020.

1. JDW

JDW New Member

Ok folks. I just closed the deal on this 1993 Suzuki Carry DD51T through Japan Car Direct. When Mathew sent me the port photos, I noticed that the undercarriage has been painted. I'm pretty sure the front and rear diffs on these trucks come cast gray from the factory. Should I be concerned that it's been painted?

Thanks for your input!!!

Attached Files:

2. ShawnC

ShawnC Member

Its hard to say, I also bought from JCD and as I was searching trucks I saw a few that had the undercarriage painted. I have read that sometimes it is to hide rust. Hopefully that will not be the case with yours. Looking at your pics i don't really see any other signs of rust. Good luck

3. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Someone took the time to clean it up and paint it. Don’t see why that is an issue.

JDW likes this.
  4. installater

installater Active Member

Well the deals been struck you get what you get, but It looks like they just cleaned it up for you from your pics
    Saved you some work
    Regards
    Brian

5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

JDW,
    It's not hard to figure out what was done! These guy's are right! The pics don't show or tell us everything, but they do help to explain things. Any time you purchase something new you should always do your due diligence and check things out. I understand that when you guys get these, from wherever, that your a little, limited on time, and your kinda at the discretion of the supplier. People will sell you anything today, at any price, for any reason! Shawn C. bought his from these people, and he's satisfied! That's a very good reference, and were glad to see so many good responses! It always helps when someone else has used someone as a word of mouth reference. If it was cleaned up and painted underneath, and nothing is being hidden, then your good! Right? If some rust was covered up, what's the worst thing that could happen? The Rust comes back? I's pretty hard for a lot of rust to build up on a cast aluminum component, as they mainly show more dirt and corrosion, before rust. I don't think you have much to worry about, but if you have your doubts, roll up your sleeve and lay down on a piece of cardboard, on the ground, and scratch a likely spot, with a putty knife and find out what's covered up! Then once your satisfied you can re paint the spot that you've scratched! Or leave it alone and keep an eye on it, and Chive on!!! LOL! How's it run! Go to the Green field at the top of the Forum page and it will tell you how to go yo your Profile, and Click Signature and tell us about what you have! Good Luck With your Mini!
    Limestone

6. matt167

matt167 Active Member

My experience is they almost always paint them.. If the frame is painted it raises a flag for rust cover up... What grade is the vehicle?

7. Limestone

There's a lot of good products made today to paint and go over Rust! I doubt that they completely restored the frame before painting! With that being said, I used a Product called Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, that I'm completely happy with, that seals out the Oxygen aided Air, and Coats the Metal, Absolutely slowing down rust and Corrosion! Until you post your Signature in your Profile, were not gonna know your Vehicle!
    Limestone

8. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

As written above by others the trucks come from Japan with a white underside. If it is painted in japan then it needs a real good look at.

Several years ago i wrote an aritcal that you can search for "what i look for when buyuing a used minitruck" it is posted on this site and can be found doing an internet search too. I wrote this back in 2008.

Regards,

Limestone likes this.
  9. JDW

JDW New Member

Matt, grade was 3.5. Inspection yielded nothing concerning. A little light corrosion toward the rear of the vehicle on the frame that can be easily ground down and covered with rust stop.

10. JDW

JDW New Member

Thanks. The only thing that was painted is the front and rear diff. It looks as if the actual undercarriage besides that is still stock color.

11. JDW

JDW New Member

Limestone,
    I don’t have it yet. That’s the reason it’s not in my signature! Still sitting at port in Japan waiting on a booking.

12. JDW

JDW New Member

Yeah I know there’s no going back now. Thanks. Just wanted everyone’s input.

13. Limestone

JDW,
    Gotchya! Good Luck!
    Limestone

JDW likes this.