1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jliltd's Trucks

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jliltd, Jul 12, 2007.

1. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Jliltd,

You mentioned the Climber having both front and rear lockers, correct?

Are these true lockers, I'm guessing the rear is, but is the front a true locker? (i.e. "posi-trak", - both tires turn no matter what)...

Somehow I missed this possibly valuable piece of info, both before and after purchasing my suzuki with no locker(s)....

In the type of use my truck gets/would get back in the woods, uneven ground, mud on one side dry on the other, creek banks, etc.... A locker would make almost a world of difference.....

When I purchased mine I was misinformed that "axle lock" meant I had a locker in the front, which, I wanted one with diff. lock, but figured hey, If I got one axle locked whether front or rear, Ive got 3 tires turning no matter what.... sadly this is not the case...which results in several "back up and try it again attempts" at a different angle to get some traction in those certain spots.....

Anyways, let me know exactly how that works on those climbers when you get a chance..... My suzuki is sold, as soon as I get the clutch fixed (which apparently went out while the truck was parked????..go figure?)... so I will be looking for a replacement....and it has to have a dump bed.

So, next question, are Climbers available with factory dump beds...??

Thanks for your post you did here and hopefully some answers to my questions...at your convenience.

2. jliltd

jliltd Member

That's a good question. The Daihatsu "Climber" model has front and rear axle lock (SU DIFF LOCK switch). I don't know what the differences are between it and the system that Suzuki uses. I know it makes a heck of a difference in the boonies compared to the Suzuki. Both of our Climbers were 1991 models. I know Daihatsu tends to have more specially-configured trucks like dumps, scissor lifts and the like so the possibility of finding one with a dump ought to be pretty good. I've got a cousin who has one of the Climbers for sale but it isn't a dump model or a show truck.

See post #29 below.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  3. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Hey thanks for the reply....

So is the front "lock" a true locker... both front tires turn no matter what restriction they have on them..i.e. "posi-trak" ..??

Thanks...

4. ky hillbilly

ky hillbilly Member

i have a 89 climber it has a dif lock button. it only locks the rear axle the front is open like all the rest of the trucks i have seen.....

5. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Very nice write up! Well done. Many people ask us about which is the best truck to buy, and I'm going to point them to this thread.

As for me, Subaru is good. I like them because I drive it on roads, and we now use it for the company. We had a Daihatsu Jumbo, and it was fine too, especially for my large frame (6foot2). But, I can just fit comfortably in the Subaru with automatic transmission. I may have mentioned that we bought a Subaru Super Charged automatic with a/c. The real Holy Grail.

Anyways, that's my opinion. For large people, the Daihatsu Jumbo or Subaru. Anyone over 6foot 2, I'd say Jumbo.

6. Keiman

Keiman New Member

Good day guys.
    I live in Japan and export this little work horses.
    And let me tell you, I found more details information on this
    site than what I get from dealers around.
    Thank you much

7. jliltd

jliltd Member

Thanks for the additional input, guys. I don't mind my impressions post being quoted, with credit, or linked to. Don't plagiarize like the guy from Arizona who cut and pasted my exact posting in an off-road forum as if they were his own words (he knows who he is). Just a matter of principle.

8. jliltd

jliltd Member

On the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel there is a rocker switch labeled "SU DIFF LOCK" which stands for "super differential lock". It's a term Daihatsu uses to describe locking front and rear (super) verses locking only one (normal). I've only seen the "SU Diff" switch in Climber models so I assumed that's what "Climber" implied. We've had the same year model Hijet without the Climber decal and it didn't have this switch. My assumption about the "Climber" moniker could be wrong, but the existence of the SUP DIFF LOCK switch should be the dead giveaway that the truck has front/rear lockers.

9. ace cutter

ace cutter Member

bulldog offroad makes a good lift ,lowers all the runnung gear,makes extensions with adjustment for the bottom of the front struts, this lets you adjust caster and camber

10. jliltd

jliltd Member

Here's a photo of a 1994 Suzuki helping with maintenance. The larger service truck is an Isuzu NPR type and it's resemblance to the Suzuki is striking.

I have another photo of a 1990 Suzuki running a hay inverter in the field I'll try to post when I find it.

jliltd

[​IMG]

11. Colin

Colin Member

12. jliltd

jliltd Member

Here's a photo of a 1990 Suzuki running a hay inverter out in our Alfalfa. I promised to post this photo before but just ran across it on the computer. We put a skid plate on the bottom of the truck so taller winrows wouldn't get caught up in the drive shaft.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  13. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Always a pleasure to see what your trucks are up to! Thanks for posting it.

14. stevert

stevert Member

15. Windmill

Windmill Member

Congrat's guys. I drive mine everyday here in Oklahoma.

16. Travis91

Travis91 New Member

i read on page one that a certain truck is better if you are over 6 feet. but the same truck wasnt good offroad. i plan on using mine off road but i am 6'5.

17. starpuss

starpuss Member

i am 6,3 and when i am in my hijet i still have 3-4" on top of my head.

18. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I presume you are talking about the Sambar. You may wish to check out this thread. :)

19. Travis91

Travis91 New Member

i just like SRA type vehicles. no one makes exteneded cabs

20. mattdv

mattdv New Member

I always hate old threads being bumped up but this thread is awesome. Very informative. Had my mind set on suzuki but now my height, 6'2, says I may have to look at the Subaru.

kastles