1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jliltd's Pinko Commie Recreational Vehicle

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by jliltd, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jliltd

jliltd Member

By request. I've had this cold war trophy since 1999. It's fantastic. Since 9/11 the fake missiles make 'em nervous when I fly over the Naval air station in Corpus Christi. It's more fun than a North American T-6 with the operational cost of a Piper Comanche. Only con is it's not a taildragger. If it were it would be perfect.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. Subaru

Subaru Member

Thats one hell of a war trophy:)

Pretty neat toy,be tough to keep that at home unless you hace a chunk of land as well:D

3. That's awesome!!

4. jliltd

jliltd Member

Yeah, I know. I do have a dirt strip at home but it's not quite long enough for this bird. I keep it at a local airport. I think this photo was from when I had a hangar at the Payson, AZ airport. These things cost less than a new Mercedes and actually appreciate in value over time.

I would encourage you to stop by your local small airport and do some hangar flying with the local airport bums. It's a hoot and I've never found a nicer of funner bunch of characters than are found at most small flying fields.

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

jliltd, come up to SpiceWood,Tx(little privite paved strip west of austin)sometime. Those guys sit around and tweak on there little birds. One of these days I want shoot some film and send it to American Funnyist Video. Those guys are a HOOT.
    Nice Bird!

6. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Thanks for the post/ picture. :)
    What make/ model plane is it for us die hard info fiends

7. jliltd

jliltd Member

Haven't done Spicewood yet. I've been into Kittie Hill in Leander (neat place) and bought a Vari-Eze down at Horsehoe Bay one time. Used to love flying into Mueller on business and lamented its demise. I do business with a fellow out of Bastrop so the new big airport is closer to him. Business flying is in a Comanche 260B or via Southwest Airlines when I want to save money.

The toy shown in the original posting is a Red Chinese Nanchang CJ-6A that was hot-rodded with a M14P Russian engine from a Yak-52 FWF including inverted systems and smoke. It flies about like a T34 Beech with a greater noise to fun ratio. I haven't flown the CJ in some time with $5 avgas prices.

Alas my heart is still with small taildraggers like the Luscombe (my all-time favorite).

I've owned an Avid Flyer kit plane (started in college -- Gig 'Em Ags), a Rutan Vari-Eze, a Rose Parrakeet biplane, Cessna 150, Luscombe and clipped-wing Taylorcraft. Now I'm down to the Piper Comanche 260B, a Cessna 140 project and the aforeshown Nanchang CJ-6A. I occasionally fly a Zenair Zenith CH801 STOL my brother-in-law owns out of our dirt strip. I also got some right-seat time in a DC-3 flying auto parts to Michigan from the border. That was neat.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008