1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jim Nelson

Discussion in 'Trade-A-Part' started by spaner, Apr 18, 2013.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hey Jim, I'm interested in both the old pump and alt.

I have a complete exhaust system from front to back that you may be interested in.
    No holes, no cuts.

:pop:

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

pm me an address to send them and let me know if the USPS flat rate boxes work there.I've found them to be far better than brown or fed ex in the lower 48.
    I'm good on exhaust,the only things I'm hurting for is both manifolds for a 6 valve F6A and a carb. mostly the carb but kind of think I'll have to get it from Don.
    I do have a carb. for a Hijet S80 or 81 that looks like a fresh rebuilt unit that I bought from Ken in N.C. and didn't need that I would trade or sell.It just needs a shut off solenoid as I recall.

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

PM sent,

We do have a member about to put one of his carbs on the market, hopefully he'll start a trade in this section.

Very suprised about the manifolds. I thought they'd cross for sure. I've read about guys using F5A manifolds for the F8B's.
    I just assumed that they were all the same.

4. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I think the manifolds will inter change but I have 2 spare engines and the 6 valve is just the block and head and the other is that real wet engine I took out of my sons truck.I'd like to have 2 complete engines but will probably end up with just 1 using the best parts from each and having some spare parts left over.

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

A ha, I got ya now...

Like I said, if you're going to rebuild it anyway, pull the pans and have it sand-blasted. Then, tear into her for the rebuild.
    As a sand-blaster, there is nothing worse than a bunch of lose parts, and "safe areas" that are NOT to be blasted.

Blast the whole thing as a single unit. Then get the pressure washer out to wash the sand away.

Then, rebuild her.

I've worked both sides...:pop:

6. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I agree about the loose parts you always lose something.I'll probably do like you say and for the 6 valve engine just use the pieces from which ever engine bites the dust.
    Have you ever had anything to do with a 6 valve engine? I can't find any info on them at all and wonder what the hp difference would be.I like the idea of less parts but bet it wouldn't run as clean,maybe a good candidate for the Singh grooves.

7. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I think what you have there is an F5A, or an F5B.

The F6A was 12 with SOHC and DOHC. Then they go to the K6A.

With out doing a hole bunch of guessing on my part. The best way to know for sure is to pull the head and measure.

F5A 62x60
    F5B 65x55
    F6A 65x66

http://www.icbm.com.au/mightyboy/specs.htm

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?8232-DB71T-F5A-Specifications-needed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Suzuki_engines

As far as I know though, all F series parts should cross, except for the internals.

8. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

DSCN2981.JPG DSCN2980.JPG The block has F6A in raised letters cast in the block just like the 12 valve engines.If I ever get caught up around here I'll put them both on engine stands and check them out a little closer.Right now the only difference I can see is the oil filter mount which is obviously not stock.It's in a cardboard box now and not easy to look over .I'll see if I can get a pic and post it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  9. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Well I wouldn't have thought so, but yes there is.

We're just not using the right language. Search using "F6A 2 valve engine".

In North America we say 12 vs 6, JDM they say 4 vs 2. Some of this filters over to the supply chain.

If it came from a Carry, chances are it was turbo'd.

You'll find "some" info now, as apposed to none. Check this out.

http://www.sunvigor.com.hk/images/Spec/Spec_PDF/Spark_Plugs_Spec/SUZUKI.pdf

10. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

OK now I think we're getting somewhere. There are 2 oil lines going from the oil filter area across the front of the engine ,one from the base,that were probably for the turbo.I don't know what it came out of,the guy said that he got it from a friend and it is supposed to be a strong running engine.I hadn't even considered a turbo,guess I need to broaden my horizons.