1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jacking Points Suzuki Carry

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by mmv, Mar 15, 2020.

1. mmv

mmv New Member

Hey everyone!

Recently purchased a '92 carry, excited to join the forums here. We purchased the truck to help with our hobby farm. We have a pony, a horse, chickens, sheep, turkeys and two livestock dogs. I need to get some all terrain tires on the truck so I can move it around our sloped property.

I am new to automotive, trainable and motivated to get my G&R 2" lift kit installed. Thanks to the post John Canfield made, I feel pretty confident with the installation process.

Having never jacked a car before... I wanted to make sure I'm doing that part right.

I have jack stands and a floor jack. I had planned to use the floor jack on what I'm guessing are the differentials.
    IMG_1518.png
    IMG_1528.png

Regarding the jack stand placement... my best guess was these locations.
    IMG_1523.png

Here are details of those spots
    FRONT
    IMG_1526.png

REAR
    IMG_1527.png

Having recently moved to the area, I don't have a buddy to help. I welcome your comments. Many thanks!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

mmv,
    Welcome. You will find that the people here will always try to help you. No questions are stupid. We would rather help you, than have you possibly hurt yourself or your mini. Go slow, take your time, and use common sense. When jacking up a vehicle, it's easy to get over confident when things are going well. I like to raise the vehicle slowly, observing weight shift, and making sure the vehicle doesn't move, or roll. Chalking, or blocking the wheels is always a good habit. Always start out on flat ground! I've seen some people leave the car in neutral ( standard shift), 1st. gear or reverse isn't a bad idea, that way, there's less chance of rolling, even on flat ground! I like to raise the vehicle evenly, by that I mean, side to side, pretty level, to avoid slippage, of any kind, and when I raise, let's say the front first, then I place the, jack stands there, sometimes at the lowest setting first. Then raising the rear, or back of the vehicle, placing the second set of jack stands, there. Keep in mind the kind of work your going to do, so as not to put, the jack stands in your way! Evaluating the situation, all the while! Get an idea how high you need to raise the vehicle, to do your planned work, without over raising the vehicle for convenience, only! A good friend of mine, uses jack stands, with additional, solid hard wood blocking. He gets pretty aggressive in his working methods, so I never question his safety! By the pics that you posted, they all look good as far as I can tell, by lifting at the frame, differential housing on the axle. Under the rear axle, inside the springs, next to the u bolt brackets, is a nice wide place to put your jack stands at. It never hurts, after you've raised, and supported the vehicle, to make sure you kinda jiggle it, and make sure it's solid! You are going to be underneath it, or parts of you are! It's also not a bad idea to play it safe, after all 4 jack stands are supporting the vehicle, to place the floor jack under the rear or front differential, or both. make sure your using proper lifting jacks and stands, properly rated, and not inferior lifting,(cheap) tools! Remember, it's easy to look back and say I could of, or I should of! Don't be that guy! Be safe, stay safe! I'm hoping others can add some more that I might have missed. Good Luck!
    Limestone

fmartin_gila and mmv like this.
  3. mmv

mmv New Member

Limestone, thank you, this is super helpful!

4. mmv

mmv New Member

Is this where you're talking about... on the axle?
    IMG_1533-2.jpg

5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

mmv,
    YES! Even, under that spring bracket, is good, unless it's in your way. I was thinking about what your doing, while working on mine tonight. Remember, steel on steel can be very slippery! Especially round parts like the axle. Don't by any means let that scare you, or hold you back. Just be aware of it, and pay attention. Another thing I did want to mention, was that on the jack stands, and even the floor jack. Look at the tops of the structured tools your working with. they have, points, raised extrusions, if you will. These are to lock in, and or prevent slippage, or rolling off of certain lifting points! Use these to your advantage in your placement of these tools! Another thing to be aware of is that when it's hot, be careful lifting on hot asphalt pavement, as the weighted object will sink, and usually not even causing problems! Good Luck!
    Limestone

mmv likes this.
  6. punimog

punimog Member

Being as the engine is in the front and the rearend is really light, you should have jacking points closer to the front of the vehicle. They are usually beneath the front of the cab. Hope this helps.

mmv and Limestone like this.