1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's deer time 2012

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by OldMachinist, Dec 1, 2012.

1. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

It's been a slow deer season around here this year. We're into our second weekend of shotgun season and I've seen 3 deer. First morning of the season I got a button buck and didn't see anything else the rest of the weekend.
    Last night with 5 mins of shooting time left I saw 2 does. I took the bigger one.
    [​IMG]

I should have taken a picture of her in the back of the ACTY last night, made the truck look small. Field dressed it was 135 lbs.

There's 10 guys hunting the 120 acres south of mine and I talked to them this morning and they've taken 2 so far.

2. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

deer.jpg

this is my latest deer

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I went out last weekend. Saw 15 total. 2 of them were bucks (8pt and 5pt). I would of taken the 8 but I couldn't get a clear shot. I need to clear some shooting lanes at my blind. :frustration:

Plan on going out again Christmas week.

5. erixun

erixun Member

I finally drew out for a limited entry area that I have been waiting 10 years :eek: for.... and got skunked, so another year eating "TAG" soup for me. Good thing about the hunt this year is that I took my 12year old out and got him his first deer in another general hunt area. It was a small one by some peoples standards- but the experience, smiles, and pride were huge. And it's his trophy! DSCF3587.JPG I envy those of you that can get more than one deer a year...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  6. oneshot

oneshot New Member

My son just turned 24,and he still talks about that first little buck he got at 12. We had a great time that day. Priceless memories. We've had many hunts and kills since then, but that first 1 is special. He is one of my best friends and I think it all started from all of our little outdoor adventures.

7. plotman

plotman Member

A couple IOWA bucks

image.jpg image.jpg

The first photo is of my 14 year old son and the buck he took with his bow during the youth season.
    The second is of the buck he took with his muzzleloader during the 2nd firearms season.
    Nobody ever around to take pics of me with mine and I dont really like "tailgate shots". I was able to take a couple good ones which my son is gonna try his hand at mounting for me. He has done a bunch of european mounts over the past few years and says he is ready for the next level-we shall see. Been a tough year on the deer here in Iowa due to the EHD outbreak which killed alot of deer however,we have had a great year so far and still have the 2nd half of bow season as well as the late muzzleloader season to come. Wish us luck.

8. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Good deer I wish I lived in a big buck state my camp averages around 140-150 inch deer with a few going up to 180s but were on a big buck program and the deer are growing so its a step in the right direction

9. I took this Axis buck in November in the Texas hill country, near San Angelo. I measured it today, and it scored about 139. Not sure how good that is for Axis, but it's a nice deer.

IMG_1290.jpg