1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isuzu NPR

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by firejonny89, Feb 5, 2013.

1. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

While looking through a auto trader today I came across a 2002 Isuzu NPR auto ( wish it was a man.) it's a diesel with 10 foot flat bed. It's a 4 cylinder turbo diesel I believe. I'm looking for something I can haul the mini on the flat bed part (10 foot flat bed it just enough) and tow the rv trailer with. Before anyone says it won't pull it. The guy who has it now uses it to pull a small excavator one a trailer so it should pull our 7000 pound rv. It is able to run highway speeds I'm told and have read but if I can pull the rv and the mini loaded on the flat bed I can take state non interstate roads if need be.

I'm looking for anyone who has had or drove one to give some input here or of another vehicle that could match what I need thanks guys and girls.

2. It should handle what you want to do easily. I have a 2003 NPR with an 18' box that I use to carry lawn equipment.

Mine has a 6.0L gas engine, and it handles well with a load. We don't pull anything with it. Oh, and mine gets about 7.5 mpg.

3. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Yea the mileage is kinda ok it is bad but I won't be driving it everyday and it won't be interstating it unless its for vacation once a year. That's y I want a diesel I think the 6.0 would have a little more interstate power but idk.

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yup, should be OK,
    That's why we all have jobs man. My P-30 gets about 10MPG and the insurance is crazy, but I don't drive it every day.
    Just when I'm out having fun, and it does everything that I need it to do very well.
    Camper-MiniHauler-boat tow...and all at the same time...:cool:

My mobile camp site consists of the P-30, mini truck, motor bike, boat and trailer with outboard...

Sometimes I even bring my mountain bike...:sly:

5. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Yea well if he still has it I'm going to try to go look at it this weekend but its 2 hours one way. It's a 2002 with just under 70000 miles on a diesel. He's asking 5900 so it's a good deal if it doesn't have any problems. Just wish it was a 5 speed and not auto but I can live with it.

6. I almost bought one of these last year with the landscape bed on it for making deliveries, it's the perfect mini delivery truck but due to it's weight I fell under all the rules and regulations that tractor trailers fall under. While you don't need a CDL to drive you will need to get IN DOT numbers, etc. and whatever you do don't leave the state with it otherwise that's an entirely new set of problems. I was going to try and avoid all the hassle and just register it as a personal vehicle but it didn't matter, I still would have had to deal with all the regulations so I just passed on the deal.

7. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Really it has to have a dot number there's no way

8. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

I could understand if I was using it for a business or to make money I'm using it to pull our rv so it's no different than my person truck I have so I won't be using a dot number should not have to. No reason why I should.

9. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

So on the way to work tonight I called the old man to ask him about dot numbers. He worked for the county highway department and then a paving company for the last 15+ years so he knows a few things when it comes to dot STUFF. He said unless your truck or truck and trailer is 26001 pounds you do not need a dot number. If you are using a dually for profit or for a business you do have to have a dot medical card which is a cake walk to get. Form from DMV to doctor and a check up doc fills out the form and you send it in with the fee your done. But beings I will be using it for personal use there is not need. And only way I would ever run over 26000 pounds is a fully loaded truck at 14000 and a 12000 pound trailer. That's not gonna happen any time soon that's for sure. I couldn't call him earlier he was at work. Fremount he said the only think you would have to have no is a medical card until u hit 26k. To use as a delivery truck for your mini's just so you know.
    If I do get this truck or one like it I prolly will get a medical card just to be safe. Never know when you might need to help a friend move some stuff for their work. Thanks for your input thou I wondered about the dot stuff and just figured I wouldn't need it.

10. Maybe the IN laws are a bit different, here in ohio it went by weight the truck was capable of handling, not what you were actually hauling, so if the truck was rated for say 26500 it wouldn't matter if I had that or 1200lbs on the back. I'm just saying be careful before you buy it, I talked to a lot of people that were "in the know" and what they knew and what the PUCO knew were two different things. I was going to do it just like you're describing but the weight class of the truck made it pointless no matter how I purchased or operated it. I would talk to someone at the state/BMV before you buy it so you don't get stuck with something you can't use.

11. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Yea I know what you mean thanks for looking out. I don't see how that could make u get dot when it's at 14000 or 14500 that's a long way from 26000 but I will look into it once I saw and check the truck out

12. URTOAST

URTOAST New Member

I have three NPR's that I use for work, a 20ft, and two 24ft. box trucks with lots of equipment. The diesels are great, just make sure you take care of them or they eat injectors... Besides that they have a bunch of torque and run great... The rest of the trucks are cheap, the AC-heater controls always break or get tight, the cabs are less then comfy and the plastic is always breaking, but they rarely ever leave you stranded.

You will not need to DOT it for personal use. Thats why you see "Not for hire" on allot of large F-650's, Top kicks, exc..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  13. TamiPaulus

TamiPaulus Member

With 2002 Isuzu NPR auto there were few problems like transmission problem and defective auto parts. But they are working on it a lot. They proved to be a worth machine for many people.