1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with 4WD

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by canoebuildah, Jun 23, 2008.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Member

I'd like to know how other Minicab users like their 4WD system and how they use it.

The truck does not go into 4WD when I push the button. I need to go forward and reverse several times to have it actually engage. I am not actually moving, the wheels are spinning. This is difficult as I basically have to get stuck, then switch back and forth until I hear the clunk of the 4WD working. After that, it does great in both Hi and Low.

Is this the same of all Minicabs or is there something wrong with my truck? When I purchased my Minicab, the dealer told me that the idiot light on the dashboard did not light up for the 4WD systems but that it did function. I am wondering if there is a problem with one of the vacuum hoses.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Not owning a Mitsi but having a educated guess at the problem:
    • If it does eventualy lock up and stay locked up then I would say that the vacuum is ok.
      You could still check for leaks though.
    • The fact that you have to spin the tires to engage the lock is probably a lubrication problem [lack of grease or oil].
      In either the front hubs or the center of the differential is a "dog" clutch which is basicly a toothed hub that when
      the axle lock button is pushed causes the vacuum diaphram to push the toothed hub into it's mating hub locking in
      the drive line to transmit power to the front wheels.
    • Just find out where your vacuum diaphram is and remove the hose. If you are able to get a vacuum pump then you
      could apply vacuum to the unit and see if it engages smoothly, if not then that is where I would start to disassemble.

Someone can correct me if I'm OTL:D

3. Dan

Dan Member

4. slimbad

slimbad Member

Limited slip

Dan, Good videos, sure looks like an improvement in traction. So, what comes next? Will we be seeing a "Nevada Dan's Limited Slip Differential Kit" on E-bay? Also, are the "kits" going to be mits-specific or could they be adapted to other mods of keis? Anyway congrats on a good job so far - the stock rear end on a mits definitely needs a limited slip or locker upgrade. later........slim

Chris, I also have a setup like Dan's - lever shift 2H - 4H - 4L - mine don't have a button. But, when I engage 4wd the 4wd indicator does light up on the dash. I have the lhd U.S. version of the mits (94 model). later......slim

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  5. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

my 92 from japan has posi in the rear and the 4x4 light on the dash takes about 2 secons to come on, you are right in saying that if this action is delayed, check the shifter on the transfer case and the front diff that are working smoothly mine is electric over vac so its really smooth. moving the truck back and forth to engauge the 4x4 can cause damage, you should be able to hit the button and few secons later you in, if not something is wrong.
    hope this helps
    oldsnowman

6. 3banger

3banger Member

In my 4x4 Mits van, there's a sticker on the drivers door explaining that you have to roll back a few meters in order to engage 4x4. If you roll the car back 1m and forward 1m... it won't engage.

I think it has something to do with a pin that needs to slip in. I think many electric 4x4's are like that. Wel... I know the 80's Ford Explorers were anyway.

7. Slim, does the indicator light up when you turn the key to the run position? (like the rest of the idiot lights)

Mine doesn't light up at all and I'm trying to figure out if it's a blown bulb or not :eek:

8. slimbad

slimbad Member

Snake, the indicator does NOT light up when the key is in the run position (only batt/oil light) and the shifter is in 2H.

If I leave it in 4L or 4H and turn it off, then when I go back to the run position it will light up, like the other idiot lights.

My 4WD indicator lights up green when it's on.

Also, you might want check your 4wd indicator switch or the wires attached to it. Switch circuit shud have continuity when 4WD lever is in 4H or 4L and open circuit in 2H. Check out part #9 in the attached. Hope this helps, later...........slim

Attached Files:

9. MiniTiger

MiniTiger New Member

I just got a 94, and i cant seem to get it out of 4wd. I have pushed the button to where it is in the engaged and disengaged position. I have waited and noting. I have dis engaged it backed up a pretty good ways. I have driven foward too and nothing seams to work. Any suggestions? Thanks

10. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Check the cable. Make sure the lever is actually moving at the tranny. IF its not cable and only button make sure its in 4wd HIgh and look for vacuum leaks at the control soleniods.

11. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

shifting out of 4 wheel

If your transfer case is controlled by a dual vacuum system, one bellows pushes the control arm and one pulls the control arm. You can visually check to see if the arm is moving with the help of somebody pushing the button, and you observing the movement of the control arm from underneath. Sounds like the bellows that pulls the arm to disingage is not functioning.

12. hturner

hturner New Member

4x4 lock up

I have a 94 mitz and after you push the button it will only go into 4x4 after you go a few feet forward or back. I have had problems with the instrument light that lights up the panel it shorted out and caused a bunch of wires to burn into and have to be rewired. (mine will go into 4x4 on the fly but not setting still.) I would love to have a pos track rear end.