1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Dip Stick Lying to me?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by okaufman, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Myth....... only two companies make oil filters. Different paint and part#... Ever watch the program " How it's Made". The filters all come out from same assembly line before they split to paint booths. Sorry 3, Amzoil make their own filters.

2. okaufman

okaufman Member

ok so basically more frequent oil changes will not really do much for my patricular problem.

either i drop the pan and clean it out...or flush it.....

and i agree about the oil filters.......

3. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

For sure regular oil changes will eventually clear all the sludge provided you use good oil. Don't use recycled oil or oil drained from your F-150.

4. okaufman

okaufman Member

HA.....good point.... :)

Ill drain it....and ill put fresh 10w-40 in there every couple weeks for a while.

i have this black powered coming out my exhaust.... probably sludge trying to make its way out since i have been over filling it like a dumb ass....

hope i didnt do any damage ....

5. okaufman

okaufman Member

and here is a picture of the dip stick.

it's hard to see the oil level....but it's right around the middle of the marked up area (for lack of a better term)

i'm assuming thats right around where it needs to be....or should i be right up at the top... (might need to add some oil if thats the case)

Attached Files:

• oil.JPG
      oil.JPG
      File size:
      206.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Black is usually choke problems running rich. Oil burns blue. White is steam from blown gasket. Synthetic doesn't burn as easily as regular oil because it's ignition temperature is higher. Top is recommended, add ½ quart. Bottom to top mark is about a quart.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  7. okaufman

okaufman Member

Little Foot :

this is not black smoke...but more of a black powder.....

i had the side of my bed folded down and my muffler blows in that direction.....so when i went to pickup the bed side i noticed it was all covered in this black soot.....

ever heard of that before?

truck does not seem to be smoking anymore now that the engine oil level is in a good place....

8. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Black soot is usually unburnt gas from rich burn but I imagine unburnt oil would do the same.

9. okaufman

okaufman Member

which would make sense....because it only happends when i first start the truck and prime it......so it's probably flooded with gas to some degree

10. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

When it's time to change oil? Easy - when it's black and start changing viscocity. Then standart(mineral) oil contains less stabilizing additives, so will have shortest lifetime. Also IMO not really correct to change oil by km's or monthes - someone driving on the streets in town, someone in the forest or mountains. And as far as i know most japanese changing oil every 5000km and filter every 10000km

11. fupabox

fupabox Active Member

which would turn out to be every 2 years or so :p

12. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Did oil change on my 660 this morning after rain finally let up. After adding ½ liter midway through about 5000Kms I pulled 2.8 liters of black oil out and put in 2.8 liters of fresh Valvoline Full Synthetic 10W30 ( I will top up when oil gets dark enough that I can see it on dipstick). Also changed filter with Fram TG4967. Trying this one for first time. Tried taking a picture of inside valve cover but I'm afraid I'm not much of a photographer. But you can see a slightly worn cam lobe! I have absolutely no sludge left. You can even see casting marks. 81700Kms. Engine runs perrrrrfectly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  13. okaufman

okaufman Member

"I have absolutely no sludge left"

SURE RUB IT IN :)

14. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

would be nice to find some cheap diesel oil and just do a few quick oil changes on my truck. like run it a week and dump, run a week and dump etc to see if it would clear up any...

15. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

Stuff99 use additives for flushing engine or 1/4 liter of diesel
    Little Foot Fram are good ones ;) 10W30 for quite old engine? are you sure?

16. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

What do you mean old? Only 81700Kms (51000 miles). I still use 10W30 In my Mitsubishi Outlander and it has 360000Kms.

17. Stuff99

friends dont let friends use Fram..

18. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

ummm... ok

19. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

What do you recommend Stuff99?

20. Stuff99

i went to a wix filter. instantly saw my "pissing" of oil from under the truck on startup go away. and if it was doing that with even a brand new filter, i cant imagine it was doing much good having that filter on at all other then to loop the oil back to the engine...

Wix # 51394 crosses to your fram tough guard.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51394