1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Dip Stick Lying to me?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by okaufman, Jun 4, 2011.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

which would turn out to be every 2 years or so :p

2. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Did oil change on my 660 this morning after rain finally let up. After adding ½ liter midway through about 5000Kms I pulled 2.8 liters of black oil out and put in 2.8 liters of fresh Valvoline Full Synthetic 10W30 ( I will top up when oil gets dark enough that I can see it on dipstick). Also changed filter with Fram TG4967. Trying this one for first time. Tried taking a picture of inside valve cover but I'm afraid I'm not much of a photographer. But you can see a slightly worn cam lobe! I have absolutely no sludge left. You can even see casting marks. 81700Kms. Engine runs perrrrrfectly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. okaufman

okaufman Member

"I have absolutely no sludge left"

SURE RUB IT IN :)

4. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

would be nice to find some cheap diesel oil and just do a few quick oil changes on my truck. like run it a week and dump, run a week and dump etc to see if it would clear up any...

5. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

Stuff99 use additives for flushing engine or 1/4 liter of diesel
    Little Foot Fram are good ones ;) 10W30 for quite old engine? are you sure?

6. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

What do you mean old? Only 81700Kms (51000 miles). I still use 10W30 In my Mitsubishi Outlander and it has 360000Kms.

7. Stuff99

friends dont let friends use Fram..

8. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

ummm... ok

9. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

What do you recommend Stuff99?

10. Stuff99

i went to a wix filter. instantly saw my "pissing" of oil from under the truck on startup go away. and if it was doing that with even a brand new filter, i cant imagine it was doing much good having that filter on at all other then to loop the oil back to the engine...

Wix # 51394 crosses to your fram tough guard.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51394

11. fupabox

I agree with stuff99...when I used frams on my Volvo turbo it would get serious lifter tick from lack of oil pressure...same with my Miata..not just at startup but at all times...switched brands and no more ticking....the higher end Frams are supposedly better but I just avoid them now out of habit.....may be superstition but it has worked for me as well....Quaker State and Motomaster are made by the same company that makes Fram.......

12. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

I'll stick with my tough guard at 5 micron particle filter as oppose to your WIX at 10 to 12 micron. I never buy the frams made in Mexico or Brazile (Bright Orange). Mine are silver with the black sure grip on bottom. When I went out this afternoon to check for brake rotors I asked the Napa guy to show me the wix filter and as soon as I saw made in Mexico I new it was trouble. If it is made in the North or South Carolina plants OK but aside from that I don't trust the quality.

13. Stuff99

mine is made in poland

[​IMG]

14. okaufman

okaufman Member

ok so here is a dumb question.

Can i just replace my oil filter...? or would i need to drain the engine again?

I just put in fresh oil last night...and a new FRAM filter.

Wanted to give the WIX a try...but dont feel like draining the engine again.

if i just remove the oil filter...will everything leak out?

15. Stuff99

not everything will leak out but some oil still in the filter will drain. might need to put a little bit back in when you change it out.

if no oil comes when you crack off the filter then that means the anti syphion(sp?) valve is not working, which was my also a problem in my case.

16. okaufman

okaufman Member

thanks....i think ill try the WIX OIL filter......and see if there is any differance......i can't imagine there will be a whole lot different....?

and yes normally during oil changes i do notice some oil spill out when i take off the filter.....but i normally drain all the oil first.....so i was not sure if having the oil still in the engine would start pouring out where the filter is.....guess not

thanks.....

17. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Delco is also made by WIX now but were made by Purolator (Pure oil later)before. They get them from whom ever will produce them cheaper. You can change your filter at any time but you will need to add ¼ liter to compensate for oil loss.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  18. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

okaufman, there is some oil in the filter andin the channels above the filter, so you have ot top up after change

19. fupabox

If you have a Fram tough gaurd filter you will be fine..they have always done well in tests,,,if it is the regular fram it would prob be best to go to the wix.....

20. Stuff99

i could never find the toughguard in my # filter. as is they were $16/each new wix filters are $9/each

21. okaufman

okaufman Member

PH4967 - FRAM EXTRA GAURD

same as tough gaurd?

22. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

12$Cdn at WalMart. Extra guard is a paper and fabric fiber filter, where Tough guard is a composite filter able to filter 5 micron particules. okaufman does the 550 take the same filter as the 660 if so you could use Delco PF1233.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  23. okaufman

okaufman Member

not sure on that...

mine takes the FRAM 4967 or the WIX 51394

24. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Same as mine so you can also use Delco PF1233

25. okaufman

okaufman Member

i picked up a WIX last night...will give it a try after i get a little use out of the fram i just put in a few days ago.

should i expect to see much of a differance?

cant imagine it will be too drastic

26. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Yes, put a 1000Kms or so on the Fram before you change over. You won't see any difference if the filter hasn't failed. You will with a FRAM Tough Guard. Oil stays clear a bit longer. But not going from a Fram (Bright Orange Can) PH4967 to a WIX 51394. How much did you pay so we can compare?

27. okaufman

okaufman Member

FRAM is around $5 (not tough gaurd)

Wix is $8

28. Stuff99

very true. if the filter is doing its job then its good. unfortunately the fram for my truck didnt.

way i noticed was the motor was obviously not loosing oil and the engine noise was instantly quieter.

29. fupabox

needed an oil change last week and saw a garage with a "special" $24 ..was feeling lazy and figured why get dirty when I can have someone else do it that cheaply...asked what filter they used..the guy said they used only Purolater,so i said go ahead...the next day I start the car (Miata) cold and the lifters ticked like mad for the first 5 seconds...checked oil level ,it was fine..filter in the Miata is so easy you can change it in a Tuxedo without getting dirty from the top ..I looked down inside ...it was a silver Fram Toughguard ...HHMM..toughguards tested fine as did the extraguard...figured I got a better filter for the same price..called the garage and the guy remembered not having a Purolator so they used a higer end Fram....Drove to work and on a break started the car and it ticked like a bastard again...went to Napa and got a Napa gold filter..went to a car wash and spun off the Fram and replaced with the Napa...hasn't ticked since then...the antidrainback was definitely NOT working...I have since bought 3 frams..a cheapo ,a toughguard and an extraguard,and swapped them back and forth with the Napa filter (as I said it takes no more than 10 seconds on the Miata so is easy to do this test)...after swapping out each filter I waited 1/2 an hour and started the car...every Fram leaked down and caused lifter tick...ALL OF THEM!!!..the Napa did not....I am going to do a video to show it with all the swaps because I was under the impression the Toughguard and Extraguards were both good...maybe at filtering,but not good for antidrainback....honestly I will NEVER trust a Fram product again...I wouldn't have believed this if I didn't test it myself....the base cheapo Fram I knew was junk, a $16 filter that doesn't have antidrainback that works ,is pathetic...with ANY of the Frams in the Miata I only have to wait 10 minutes after shut down before they have drained back into the oilpan..unacceptable...you will not believe it when I show you the vid

30. Jessf

Jessf Member

has anyone used an Ultra-8 Performance filter?

the guys at Japanoid sent me one and I've never seen it before. Says "nippon filter" on the side with a bunch of Japanese lettering.