1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ironraven's random upgrade/mod/repair thread

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Ironraven, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Good job! This is just an observation but maybe next time U should weld the nut (instead of the head of the bolt)to the frame and screw the bolt up through. This way U wouldn't have the end of the bolt sticking down and hooking stuff. Also U wouldn't have to line-up all four bolts to install plate. Just my 2ยข worth.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Eh? I didn't weld anything to the frame. There isn't anything sticking down anywhere, I drilled and tapped a 1/2" piece of steel and put it inside the frame rail, then bolted the bumper to that piece of steel. It doesn't stick down anywhere, it goes inside the frame rail... maybe I'm not quite understanding what you're saying? I put the steel plate in there because I didn't trust the frame of the truck to be strong enough on its own and I didn't want to weld to the frame rail since it's not very thick steel.

Edit: DOH! I just realized you were referring to the other post before mine :eek: I would use a thicker piece of aluminum instead of steel so you can countersink the bolt so it won't stick down. That's my plan...

3. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Sorry, my mistake, I was addressing o8k's protective skid plate.

4. o8k

o8k Member

<Giggle> Ya i went back and forth. I had a Jeep liberty with a skid setup that way (nut welded to frame) all of them eventually broke from the shock loads incurred during use.

So my thought was, a lesser of two wevils. 1. Nut to frame weld is weaker and more likely to fail but provides a lower profile. Bolt to frame weld is stronger but sticks down more past the skid (higher profile).

I err'ed on the side of a stronger weld.

5. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Use coupler nuts for more weld surface:sly:

6. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yesssss!!!! A Carlton County Sheriff just left my house after inspecting and passing my mini truck :) That's right, my mini truck is now officially street legal in Carlton County! Just wanted to share :D

7. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

congrats:):):)

8. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

[​IMG]

Can't stop grinning :D :D :D he's ready for the road!

9. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Get ready to turn heads now and get double takes. Maybe even get a steering wheel for your passenger even if it's a dog.

10. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

http://www.fox21online.com/news/mini-trucks-rollout-big-discussion-duluth

Well although my Duluth ordinance failed last night by a margin of 4 to 5... I got positive news coverage. I'm not making my next steps public on this forum as one of the councilors is e-stalking me here and I'm sure is watching my every move but he doesn't need to worry, my plans have nothing to do with him.

It was interesting the "conservative" council members voted it down while the more left-leaning ones voted for it. I guess "conservative" councilors in Duluth forget that personal freedom and independence from Federal regulation are cornerstones of TRUE Conservative values. The councilor in question cited safety as his major problem... and the others ignored comments about Smart cars, classics like the multiple "T-Bucket" Model T's with V8's and no hood much less any impact zone, AND the fact that my other vehicle is a motorcycle that I can ride on the freeway at 55 mph at night without a helmet or any other safety gear because it's MY PERSONAL CHOICE to operate a less safe vehicle.

Stuff99 likes this.
  11. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

Way to go man!! you're a tv star now!! Congratulations!

12. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Lol, I wish it'd been an interview after the ordinance had passed but... it's a step in the right direction :)

13. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Nice to put a face on the raven!!! Good luck in your endeavor.

14. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Thanks dude. I'll be a long road, but I figure I have all winter to scheme and plot for my next big move :D

Right now I need to focus on getting my little beastie prepared for winter plowing. I've made and scrapped a few more plans for my front receiver and now finally think I have something workable... it's just a matter of finding the time to muck around with it now :/

15. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Great job. I love the 001 on the side of the truck. The announcer DID mispronounce "KEI" but that's OK. :)

16. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

This is exactly my contention as well..if anyone was really concerned with our safety then 18wheelers would never share the roads with us.

17. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yeah, and there are actually 17 states not 14 states that allow them on public roadways... but positive press is better than negative ;)

The 001 is my Carlton County ID number so I love it too! :D

18. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yup. Nor would vehicles like the 3/4 ton suburban I trailered my truck down to the meeting with. That thing is a MONSTER I think it would probably drive right over a Geo Metro without even noticing it was there or spilling my coffee...

19. Stuff99

oh you would notice. something would get stuck in the fender eventually :D

20. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Lol, you're probably right :p

[​IMG]

21. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

I'm still trying to picture the Geo floping around in the fender whell. Kept me occupied for an hour thanks.

22. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Whose the boss? My truck is the boss :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this is the trailer I hauled the truck into town with... 18' long and heavy as sh!t but no match for Takumi :D he pulled it over to my buddy's house and had no trouble at all parking it exactly where I wanted it to go. Damn I love this truck.

23. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Well... after several foiled attempts yesterday I'm forced to admit I don't have the tools I need or access to the kinds of steel I need to build a front receiver hitch. The mounting points are too tight for me to be able to fab something good enough to fit in there :/ but I do intend to modify the one I'm going to have to purchase to incorporate a skid plate AND attach a brush guard to it as well. So that's something anyway... I'm still disappointed that I couldn't get my ideas to work though. If only I had access to a metalworking shop and a steel foundry I'd be SET lol.

24. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

[​IMG]

Takumi being put to good use :) It was a decent hunting opener, although none of those deer were mine it would have been a major PITA to get them out without my truck! Now I have even more incentive to finish that winch mount though... would have made hoisting them a lot easier.

25. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Well they look mighty tasty. Fruitfull hunt....

26. Stuff99

aww its first kill!

27. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yeah, it was great... one of my buddy's was going to drive his F150 back there but realized there was no way he was going to make it through a swampy spot... so I passed him going about 7 mph and blasted through no problem lol. Then we loaded around 450 pounds of deer in the back and cruised back to the barn to hang them. Good times.

What's the difference between men and women? Guess which "decorations" are hers lol. Dead soldiers from a weekend of hunting and butchering :D

[​IMG]

28. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Oh man, I really want to go pheasant hunting, but I'd have to go way outside my legal driving radius to find any. Well there might be one or two random game farm escapees but no real population. I'm hoping to be able to get out this fall still, even if I can't drive the truck.

29. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Up here no legal pheasant hunt yet. But they're all over the place. More get killed on the road than kangaroos in the outbacks.

30. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

(Just figured I'd throw these pics up in my "official" mod thread as well as my plow thread...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Super heavy duty... this sucker is awesome.

[​IMG]
    This matters to me, I don't know about the rest of you but this whole thing was made less than 100 miles from my house :) and I love supporting local businesses!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Quick preview :D I expect my receiver to be here before this weekend!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010