1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ironraven's random upgrade/mod/repair thread

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Ironraven, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

3½" Offset on the 12" rims that I have here

2. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

So...
    5" wheel with an 88mm offset is stock
    7" with a 101mm offset are what I'm looking at
    That means 38mm LESS inner clearance and outer clearance will be EXTENED an extra 12mm
    In order to fit these particular wheels I'd need a 4x100 to 4x110 spacer which would give me an extra 25mm inner clearance which means it'd only be 13mm extra inside but 37mm outside. So that means the wheel would only stick out about an inch wider than stock which should probably work... we'll see if I can get these suckers cheap :D

3. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

I think it is going to hit the fender in the front if the wheel sticks out and inch.

4. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Could be... but only in the front right? That's easily trimmed... I already took the tin snips to the door to cut out holes for my speakers and I've rolled plenty of fenders on cars before :D Piece of cake. Or maybe I'll get a slightly smaller wheel? Different offset? Not quite as wide? I just need to make sure I get something sorted by the time the snow flies :)

5. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

I installed WalMart nixen winter on mine 38$ a piece. I tried a spacer and the tire would rub in the front

6. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

You don't know if that 3.5" offset is positive or negative do you?

7. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

On a 5" rim it is the inside from rim edge to seat. So I'm not sure about +/-

8. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

I installed my new radio today it works fine but I have to figure out where I'm going to mount the speakers. I hot ironed the face plate to existing bezel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  9. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Mounting them in the door is pretty simple... what size speakers do you have? I had to trim a bit out of the inner door panel and also put a spacer in to get my 6.5" speakers to fit but it sounds fantastic!

10. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

In the doors is OK but I wanted to get them up a little closer to my ears. So I tought in the upper back of the cab but I will see what works better. I have all sizes so I will see what works the best for me.

11. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Easiest rule for speakers is the lows down low and the highs up high...as long as you have the mid-high range pointing at you... the bass in the doors are non directional so they can be anywhere...I put 2 tune up tweeters at the top of the dash at the A pillars and they bounce sound off the windshield into the cab.....nice job on the faceplate by the way:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  12. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

I will try 2 or 3 different ways and I will see what burys cab noise the most. I will then post pictures of my prefered install. I think maybe 2 6X9's attached either side of the head rest might work best.:D

13. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

its amazing how advanced our car stereos are getting!

14. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

I know and for 38$ from amazon + 12$ shipping. USB, SD and aux ipod input.

15. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Found a spot for tweeters. Right in the capped vent hole.

Attached Files:

16. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

That's an AWESOME idea! I think I have some tweeter horns that would fit in there perfect...

17. Stuff99

heh. why is it capped? is it for A/C?

18. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Probably and option for passenger, also missing sunvisor on passenger side. I'm impressed that there's a window on passenger side with a crank!!!.

19. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I think my driver's side one is capped too, only the center vents on my truck are there IIRC. It's probably for A/C.

20. fupabox

Great idea for the tweeter mounting:)

21. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

New Shoes!!! OK, so they're crap rusted steel wheels, but the tires are good and I only spent $50.00 on them. I like a fat sidewall so I finally decided on 155/80/R13. The truck rides 100x better; and looks more like a vehicle than a toy finally... this is what they should have come from the factory with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup, they're offroad worthy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Stuff99

bigger is better :D well to a point lol

shoulda took the time and pressure wash them and paint them black before putting on?

23. zardoz

zardoz Member

Ironraven I couldn't agree more! I ended up with geo metro rims and the same tires size as you, I thought the tires would throw out my speedo... but GPS confirms my speedo is now 100% correct. VERY glad I went for this rim/tire combo, my truck is so much more fun to drive now!

z

24. erixun

erixun Member

Ditto on the rims, I just did the same thing for my truck, I got steel rims from a 1997 Hyundai Accent, they need a paint job, and got new 13" street tires from wally world. I agree about the ride, not to mention mine accelerates faster and has a little more top end. And now I am not eating my Kenda Bearclaws up as bad when I run around town or on the roads, I will just throw those back on when I go hunting or trail riding... it's nice to have two sets of rims/tires!

25. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

First thing I did when I bought mine 14" rims from Nissan Pulsar 185/65R14 at 23½" diameter. Odometer is off but it rides a hell of a lot better over bumps and I can now use first gear. U can go as high as 195/65R14 without rubbing

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  26. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I'll get to that eventually. I'm going to do a wire wheel scrapedown and a good paint job but I didn't want to wait to put them on because I wanted to take off the old ones and put ATV tires on them for the few times when I want to go on an ATV trail... and I got a line on 4 new ATV tires for $80 but I wanted to make sure they fit and all that.

27. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Decided to use the speaker mount under ashtray for a 4" speaker. No use going overboard with this

Attached Files:

28. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I sorta have a bad habit of overdoing things... lol, especially when it comes to stereo equipment :p Speaking of which I went on a little drive out to some deer stands today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah it got a little tight in there after awhile...

29. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

[​IMG]

Woot, got my rear bumper and receiver welded up last weekend. I cut a steel plate, drilled and tapped it so I could bolt directly to the two little holes in the rear of the frame rail... that way no welding needed and no new holes cut! My first time welding and nothing caught on fire and it didn't fall apart :)

30. fupabox

Good job...no fires is always a bonus..and no arc-eye;)