1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ironraven's random upgrade/mod/repair thread

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Ironraven, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Srsly... it blew my mind the dude called me! I need to make sure I pay this Karma back somehow 'cause it's hooking me up hardcore! I can hardly wait to try this sucker out :D I really really really need to finish my HD front end now so I can put it to the test. *sigh* I need to get my ideas down on paper... or maybe I need to get them down on STEEL! lol

2. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

hey iron thats my winch i got the same on payed 180 cash with the extra warr. not bad for a 5k winch i thought lol

3. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Nice! Have you had to test it out yet?

4. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

no i have not even had a chance to hook it up i got a buddy making a hitchplate and ill be ordering hookups for front and back next week so u will get to use you first i saw a good deal i got it till i get around to putting it on lol

5. erixun

erixun Member

WOW! Nice that you got your winch back, even cooler that they upgraded it for free.... maybe I will go out and run over mine.:sly:

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I replaced my thrashed tranny mounts a while back easy to do and tougher than the originals(higher tention separation ratings). $35 each I think, 1/4 the price of the OEM's. Tightend things up big time.:cool:

How come I don't see (posts) how you thrashed the shaft:confused:

Attached Files:

7. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I was actually thinking about telling you to "break" yours and get a new one... it looks like a pretty solid piece. The only thing that's going to suck is figuring out how to run the control lines to both the front and back because I didn't need to worry about that with the remote before.

At least you know they REALLY stand behind their warranty.

8. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Oh, I posted that in a different thread... long story short, winch fell off the front and wreaked havoc on itself and the undercarriage on its way. Punched a hole in the oil pan, bent the rear trans mount a couple inches and put a good size dimple in my rear drive shaft.

Where'd you get the mounts from?

9. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Oh, I've done that with automatics. Put her in gear to eliminate that little bit of tire drag, that just might be enough to get it out of the hole. So, then it comes out and drives over the winch/cable/battery; what ever the set-up happens to be.
    (my set-ups are always "stand alone" spare bat, jumpers, 10' chain.) Then you can move more than just the truck...like a moose.

Mounts from local Maslack but you should be able to order from any parts place.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  10. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

:eek: My situation was even more embarrassing... it just fell off when I was driving down the trail :eek:

11. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

[​IMG]

Heh, my half page editorial... Here's the text if anyone's interested in reading it :D

Last fall I put forth a proposal to the Duluth City Council to permit the operation of my small, efficient, versatile vehicle on Duluth streets. Known as a “Mini Truck” this vehicle achieves close to 40 mpg despite being a four wheel drive truck, exceeds EPA emissions requirements and would qualify for LEV status if it were tested. Last year my proposal was defeated narrowly by Council members citing safety concerns should I be involved in an accident. Mini Trucks are small as the name suggests, weighing in at 1300 pounds. Since that time I have worked with State Senators to implement a state wide permitting process that was also narrowly defeated with opponents again citing safety concerns. I am writing this letter to the editor to express my frustration with what I believe to be excessive and unnecessary supposed concern over my personal safety. If State and local officials were actually concerned with my personal safety I wouldn’t be able to ride the motorcycle that I use all summer long to commute from my home in Wrenshall to my job in downtown Duluth. As of today I have ridden over 4000 miles this summer and the state doesn’t even require the use of a helmet. If the safety of motorists was truly a concern to the Duluth City Council, wouldn’t the parking enforcement vehicles that are utilized year round be subject to the same concerns? Doesn’t the City Council believe that the safety of the city employees who work watering plants and maintaining parks driving utility vehicles that don’t even have DOT certified tires is as important as my safety? Every day I see parking enforcement vehicles and maintenance UTV’s being operated on the streets all over the city and I wonder how these are different from the vehicle I own. Since the difference is certainly not the size or safety of the vehicle I am led to believe the difference is that the City Council deems the safety of City employees to be less important than my safety. I would like to thank the officials in Carlton County who passed such an ordinance at my request last year for their open-mindedness, support of personal freedom and accountability as well as their common sense.

Attached Files:

12. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

13. downhere

downhere Member

Nice article! Very well written. It doesn't make any sense to me that they wouldn't let this class on public roads. What about Rat rods? They are the Frankenstein of all vehicles and deemed street worthy! What about some of the custom choppers? With handle bars that have the most awkward trajectory and they pass??? I have an idea Iron. Take each and every person from council for a ride in it. I'm sure that ride will change they're minds. I'm glad our govt is a little more open minded in Canada (not much but just a little) Good Luck.

14. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice. Heck, some of the newer ones even have airbags.

15. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

ha i wonder what the city's reply about their vehicles will be

16. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I like the comments, here's one of my favorites:

Makes no sense at all. There has to be some other reason. No sensible or reasonable person could come to any other decision but to allow the vehicle to operate. Several years ago a parking control vehicle was involved in a serious collision and the driver seriously injured. Those vehicles are still on the streets. What about the smart car? What’s the difference? And, motorcycles without helmets; come on give me a break.

17. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Thanks man :) the measure really only failed by one vote... and the funny thing is the people voting against it were the conservatives! You know, the people who ostensibly are all for personal responsibility and freedom :confused:

18. Jeepy

Jeepy New Member

What would be a reasonable lift for those BF GoodRich tire (195/70R14) On a Suzuki Carry 1996?? And who fab and distribute a reliable lift kit??

Thx for reading

Jeepy

19. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

You'll need at least 3" of lift to accommodate a 25" tire if not more. I'd recommend finding a smaller tire unless you want to do some serious custom work.

20. Fchin

Fchin New Member

How's the engine performance using 25" tires? Do you have idea what size of tires is best for the carry engine? Power, fuel efficient? thanks in advance.

21. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Stock is best or maybe an upgrade to a 13" wheel I'm running 155/80/13's now that I sold my atv tire setup and they're about a 22" tire I believe.

22. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

So I finally got the time to make my bull bars and winch mount. It's almost done, I just need to mount the supports to the front so it's not just hanging from the bottom of the truck. Anyone welded to the front sheet metal before? Anyone know where it's the thickest? Here's a few pics, the winch is just sitting on there for show and so I could make sure the holes lined up :pop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I think you need a new name for your truck. My first thought is Scymitar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:p

24. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

hey iron what amp quick plug r u using for ur winch i have a 50 amp but i want to make sure it will be able to hold up to the 5000 pound winch and yes i still have not got it wired up yet im hopin to do that soon

25. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I use the SB120 on my 4klb winch. 120 amps. I got mine from Helmar parts for less than $6. Some places I found wanted $20+ for them.

http://www.helmarparts.com/product_p/6800g3.htm

-Greg

26. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yeah, I'm also using 50 amp... I got mine from Summit Racing but it looks like Hemlar beats their price by half! I'm actually not even using that connector anymore since my winch is now bolted semi-permanently to my brush guard.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QCR-57-704

27. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

28. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Hey iron raven where u been I have not seen much out of you.

29. Philistic53

Philistic53 New Member

What did you end up doing about the bad driveshaft? Mine tore up 30 minutes after I bought it. Having a lot of trouble finding a replacement/improvement.

30. Daner

Daner Member

He hasn't been on since last December. Maybe try PMing him.