1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro into the world of mini

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by MikeD, Mar 24, 2023.

1. MikeD

MikeD Member

Figured I'd post my intro here as well and see what I can learn about the world of the Mitsubishi mini.

I've got an opportunity to buy a 1995 Mitsubishi Bravo w/ the aero roof. It has ( I think ) a 3 speed auto trans. It is AWD. It has pretty low miles, I can't remember exactly how many.

Few random thoughts that I was looking for some user help with:

• My rig IS a U44V
      >> When looking for parts I never see the U44 but see a lot of parts compatible with U41/ U42. I suspect these are similar builds but different motors
    • The engine is the 4A30, inline 4. Possibly with a 5 valve DOHC? It looks to be fuel injected but I still haven't popped the hood ( lol the seat )
    • Any leads on a repair manual ? I see an option on amazon, looks to be the only choice.
    • I assume parts are available as I scoured the ol' Google. I see some US options and also Partsouq overseas is always a good choice.
      >> Does anyone have any solid go-to option when searching for parts or is it always a bit of a treasure hunt?
    • What should I expect for speeds with this 3 speed auto. 35-40? 50 downhill?
    • Any other common problems on these rigs I should look for?

Needed Repairs -The rig I am looking at is pretty rust free which is awesome but after a quick look I see it needs
    • Both CV's need a re-boot. I see some options for this on google but all listed for U42
    • A little leaky around rear diff but that's not a big concern
    • It hasn't driven over parking lot speeds in years so it could be a total sh*t show once I start driving it

At a sale price of $1500 I can't pass this one up. Worst case if it breaks down I'll park it in my driveway and call it a guest house or a shed =]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  2. MikeD

MikeD Member

Bump for some info!

I officially bought the Bravo so now it's crunch time to get it all back to road worthy condition. I'm looking for some help on the info from my previous post and a few more questions have come up.

• 40mph top speed? Really? Am I just going to make my peace that I bought a mini truck and it's not fast? It sure seems like it stops a 5k rpms and something is limiting me from going faster
    • Violent shake when braking, think I need new front rotors
    • Noticed small leak on transmission cooler lines ( I think ) Hoping it's just a clamp up above
    • Engine bay looked dry and dusty, better than oily and nasty
    • Exhaust is leaking so it's loud and may be affecting power

The AC even works! Interior is in great shape but it'll need some TLC for all these leaks and creaks

Emailing some parts folks in the US but everyone is un-responsive. Partsouq.com overseas is good for some parts but they don't have everything I need.

3. el_supremo

el_supremo New Member

G&R imports in MO or First Global in FL can likely help you out.

4. MikeD

MikeD Member

Thanks, yeah since my first post I hooked up with G&R but we are trying to work out the proper part numbers per the 4A30 motor.

My top interests now are:
    • Is it really this slow or do I have a problem? I see reference to folks with the Bravo Aero roof doing 100-120kph but I can't seem to get past 60. It just holds at 5k rpms and doesn't want to give me any more
    • I do have an exhaust leak down pipe and maybe that is the cause or some other maintenance items
      >> OR there is a governor
      >> OR it's just a 600cc motor and that's all shes got!

PS . Google Lens / Translate works great to decipher the Japanese text around our vehicles. I'd post a pic but can't figure out how to upload

5. el_supremo

el_supremo New Member

You can find part numbers here:
    https://mitsubishi.epc-data.com/

Just make sure you choose the right model based on your VIN and nameplate. The part number will be the M######## number that shows up after you click on an item in the list or diagram, not the 5 or 6 digit number that shows up in the list.

As for the speed, that sounds about right for a 3 speed if they're geared anything like a 4 speed. My 4 speed 3G83 wound all the way up would do 90 on the flat and doing that likely contributed to its early death.

I'm not aware of these units being governed but I've never worked on a 4A30. I think I recall reading that the 4cyl kei engines rev lower.

I hope it works for you!

6. MikeD

MikeD Member

Thanks for the tip! Hopefully GR imports can sort me out with parts, they seem knowledgably. Yeah it seems like there isn't much talk around the 4A30 or anything inline-4 related. It does appear to redline a bit lower than the manual trans or earlier model engines.

I do get the hot exhaust gas light popping on when I am really pushing it uphill or giving it all it's got. Maybe I need to just slowwwww dowwwnnnnn

>>>> Anyone out there with a 4A30 that can chime in on expected performance and tips to keep her alive?

7. MikeD

MikeD Member

Hellllooooo out there.

I did pretty much solve all of my mechanical inquires with the help of another member and some Googlin'

Here's my latest thoughts.....
    • Anyone out there have a 4A30 motor with 3 Speed auto trans? Would be nice to compare certain things and make sense of whats normal and whats not.
      >> I understand this rigs are slow, but I hit the gas and the thing barely moves. Kind of just sputters as it climbs into higher rpms. A rev in neutral has solid engine response, but when in gear its just sooooooo slowwwwwww
    • Temp gauge on the dash doesn't seem to be working. Looks like I'll have to start poking around.
    • Is it possible to pull timing belt cover and inspect belt without having to dive too deep
    • Does the Super Aero Roof decal really light up !?!? I haven't been able to make that work and it seems like I need that feature =]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023