Intermittent power loss.... CAT or Fuel Pump/FIlter?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Steve Hunter, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Steve Hunter

Steve Hunter New Member

I recently bought a 2002 Suzuki Carry DA63T. I am having a few issues and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. So when I bought the truck, the exhaust pipe was rusted out right before the muffler. I took it to a local muffler shop and had them weld on a new muffler. The truck came with aggressive mud tires. I ended up putting on street tires and keeping the mud tires for when I take the truck to the hunting property (thought my teeth were gonna chatter out of my head driving those tires on the street). Now I hadn’t driven the truck very far before I had the muffler fixed so I’m not sure if the issue I am having was happening before or after the muffler was added.

The issue I am having is after driving the truck for about 20 minutes it begins to lose power intermittently. Its driving fine then all the sudden at higher RPMs or when im accelerating it acts like its not getting fuel, then a second later it picks back up fine, then slows, then fast, and so on… It drives totally fine for the first 15-20 minutes before it starts happening. The truck idles and revs perfectly in neutral. If I let the truck sit and cool for a little while it runs fine until I hit that 20 min mark. After a bunch of research, I am pretty sure that I have it narrowed down to either the catyilic converter or the fuel pump/fuel filter in the tank.

Issue/Symptoms

- Intermittent power loss after 20 min of driving

- Drives fine for first 20 min if not been run

- When I shift up a gear and lower RPMs when having the issue, it seems to help

- A lot of black soot already on the tip of the new aluminum exhaust

Things I have tried

- New Spark Plugs

- New K&N air filter

- A half tank run through of SeaFoam

- Tried one of those Cat Cleaner solutions

With the symptoms I’m leaning towards it being the CAT. Would a bad CAT cause the above issues? I had asked the shop to just remove it while I was there before I was having the issue but they said they cannot legally. What are my options if bad cat? If not the CAT then my next step is to pull the fuel pump/filter out and see what it looks like. Im thinking it may be easier to access but pulling off the bed vs dropping the tank. Any advice is greatly appreciated. What do you guys think?

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Typically, a bad cat is pretty constant. It doesn’t come and go.

I’d lean towards fuel going intermittently rich. The black means things are running very rich. If you pull the plugs they will probably be covered with black wet soot.

It sounds like the issue is the one with the clogged charcoal canister. Which causes the pressure to build up in the fuel tank. That causes the relief pressure to the return line to go up, which makes the fuel pressure go up, and then it flows past the needle and floods the carb.

Limestone likes this.
  3. Steve Hunter

Steve Hunter New Member

Thanks for the response. What is the best way to access the charcoal canister? This truck is fuel injected. Would the still cause the same issue being injected?

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Possibly you have the same issue I had some time ago on mine (DA62V). The fuel delivery system is returnless. There is only one fuel line from the tank unit(which includes the fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, & fuel gauge sender) to the fuel rail at the engine. On mine, the filter had disintegrated over time and had been ingested into the pump which degraded its capacity and also lodged some particles in the pressure regulator so the fuel rail was receiving a very insignificant amount of fuel and at a much lower pressure than required to perform properly. New pump(which includes the filter) & regulator cured the problem.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  5. Steve Hunter

Steve Hunter New Member

Thank you for the response Fred. After more and more research on here, I think your right and I need to get into the pump and evaluate. Im hoping to get into it this weekend and will report back for anyone with similar issues in the future.

6. SKconcreteminitruck

SKconcreteminitruck New Member

I'm having the same issues with my 2001 Suzuki carry. Where do you find this Charcoal filter?

7. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Steve,
    What did you discover? If any thing.
    Limestone

8. Robert Gionet

Robert Gionet New Member

Hello Steve, have you been able to trace your lack of power on your minitruck.
    I do have a Mitsubishi with EFI fuel system, and I do also experience the same issue... on my end, when it does its things, it start in the 3rd gear when I try to accelerate... it is almost as if the engine was working on 2 cyl, then 3, then 2 etc etc.... hard to explain, but the power comes and goes just like that... and then.... for no reasons what so ever... all is fine. I will try to monitor my vaccume pressor in the tank... as I think, if I remove the gaz cap and put it back, so the pressure in the tank is none, it seems to be going fine... Need to double check this.