1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Minicabs

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by TractorDre, Jul 27, 2008.

1. TractorDre

TractorDre New Member

I saw some interesting Mitsubishi Minicabs this week.:)

These were 2WD, left hand Drive, 3 speed, with 25MPH max speedometer. They were used as utils/Security vehicles at a power plant.(Seabrook)

One was restored, two needed restoration, and two were parts vehicles.

All had low milage for there age. The one that I tried out was a 89 which had 13.5K miles. It purred like a kitten and drove beautifully. I really liked it. I believe these might be geared low but I didnt have enough room to try it out . Besides. My fat feet prevented me to get my boot out of the tight space when clutching.:frustration:

I crawled under it and saw the bed to be solid and in great shape for a New England vehicle. The cab was the area with the restoration which turns out to be the problem area. :eek: Sheet metal and pop rivots are not a good ideas on any vehicle in shock mount areas, welding is so much better.;)

The other two with the well defined problem that were outback showed the extent of the rust problem and what it needs to be corrected. (remove cab a nd repair/replace parts) Even though I dont currently have the time my friend is interested in the challenge assuming that the parts can be found.

I have been searching for the website that I had found with body panels but I forgot which site is in my long list. But then fabricating the floor panels would be cheaper yet more time consuming.

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

there is a guy on here that has one of those. he got the limiter off of it and can get it up to i think 40 he said... do a search for left hand drive mitsubishi truck.

3. Colin

Colin Member

4. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

ah, nm that was the truck i was thinking of Colin.

5. HTRDLNCN

HTRDLNCN New Member

I have a LHD hijet as well.

6. TractorDre

TractorDre New Member

7. TractorDre

TractorDre New Member

$2000

Looks like the same model Mitsu that I saw but yours is in Fl. and in better condition.

Great deal..;)

Is the floor solid?

8. Dan

Dan Member

there are a few of us out here with the lefty's. Search the users: slimbad, ibkg, and dan. we have shared info and gallery shots of our experiences with the mighty mitsu's. ibkg posted an english version of an on-line parts manual and those #'s can be used at most automotive mitsubishi dealerships if you provide the #'s

9. Yeah, I snagged her for $501.01 at a local auction and it drove great :)

Floor and bed had a few minor holes, but a little welding and a solid coat of bedliner and she was like brand new again :cool:

Added some golfcart hubcaps (looks like rims, eh?) and made some plexi trim panels for the door, then threw her on craigslist...

Within a week she was gone :eek:

What's funny is that I had the trailer with the golf cart hooked up and when the new owner arrived to have a look at it....

I was too lazy to unhook it, so I took him for a spin around the block and he was immediately impressed with the pulling power :)

Money on the spot!!

10. slimbad

slimbad Member

My LHD Mits

Here's a couple of pics of my mits. It was originally standard white. My "camo job" was 9 spray cans of flat green, black, brown, gray, and primer red (about $12.00 at dollar store). did the interior in o.d. green and replaced the panels with luan wood. stuck stereo in the overhead - nice area in the U.S. version of the kei trucks........later, slim

Attached Files:

11. TractorDre

TractorDre New Member

WOW!!

Love the idea with the luan plywood..

12. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

Hi Guys
    i just got my mitsu 3 weeks ago and i am having a blast driving it around. here in canada we can put them on the street. check out my photos for a picture, it will be getting 14" wheels a tires soon.

oldsnowman