1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inter-state Purchase and Registration

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by NSF, May 5, 2017.

1. NSF

NSF New Member

I live in WA and want to buy a Kei van in OR and drive it home. This van isn't US registered, as it is my understanding that you can't get OR license plates for these things, and my assumption that the seller bought it with the intention of reselling.

So, do I have to ship it home so I can take to the DMV in WA to register, or just take my chances for a few hours on the freeway? Don't see how WA DMV would be willing to pre-register a vehicle I don't yet own and which they don't get to inspect, and I can't see OR giving me a temp / trip permit for a vehicle you can't register in that state.

Thoughts?

2. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

trailer it

3. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I would go to your DMV and just ask what all you need tod o to register it and to get plates.
    I did and I have mine legal!

4. They are not that big or heavy to trailer. I don't think a long drive at highway speeds would be that pleasant and this is an unknown vehicle that may have unknown problems. You are driving down to get it anyway just bring a trailer.

5. FYI last car I had shipped from Seattle to Portland was about $175. That was a couple years ago. You can't make a round trip with a pickup and trailer for that.

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I trailered mine, a 5 x 10 single allum trailer worked perfect!