1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance issues in Ontario

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by packrat, May 22, 2009.

1. packrat

packrat Member

Hi Guys, I've just bought a 1990 Carry here in Toronto, and just spent a frustrating afternoon trying to get someone to insure it for me. Does anyone know an import friendly insurer?

2. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Well, I would contact your dealer, they should know.

Has it completed the out-of-province inspection? Obviously you need that too for street use.

3. packrat

packrat Member

The truck is actually registered in Ontario, but is "unfit". I've had a safety certification done, and as far as I know, all I require now is insurance. I didn't buy it from a dealer

4. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Unfit? Hmm. I dont know how it works out there.

They are easy as pie here in Sask to get insured/registered/plated. Maybe call Chris at Kei-Cars.com he is in Ontario.

5. cmaxxer

cmaxxer New Member

TD insurance insured mine here in Alberta, and as far as I know, TD has offices in Ontario as well.....

It was not difficult at all to get accomplished for me.

The one question that needs to be answered is: How do you mean "unfit"? Did it fail the safety inspection? Is this some term the insurance company came up with? If it passed the safety inspection, then there should be no real issue other than a belligerent insurance company.

6. packrat

packrat Member

In Ontario, when a vehicle ownership is transferred, it is in unfit condition until you get a safety standards certificate done by a licensed mechanic. You then take this with you to the licensing office where they transfer it into "fit" condition. All it means is that you must have the vehicle checked before putting it on the road in your name. As far as TD insurance, I have my VW camper insured with them, and they refused to insure the Suzuki, stating that if it was not originally sold as a Canadian spec vehicle they couldn't touch it. I have had similar issues in the past with my 1980 Suzuki LJ80 (pre SJ410)

7. confuzed

confuzed Member

not sure if you have cooperators there or not they insured me their biggest issue was right hand drives have a reputation for street racing lol it took an afternoon of them calling head office because not enough numbers in the vin so they made one up the puter will accept the only issue now is i must go in at renewal time if i want my vin on insurance papers to match regisration papers

8. packrat

packrat Member

Well, its a week later, and I still haven't been able to locate insurance. I was given a quote of $2789 for basic liability. (thought I'd already paid for the truck), as well as one with Silver Wheels for $162, but it only covers for a vehicle used in car shows, and very limited use. Ie:, I couldn't carry anything in the back. Kind of useless. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. I have a couple of other agents looking now, but haven't heard back yet. I'll keep you posted. Paul

9. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Has nothing to do with insurance but I just gotta ask since everyone in ontario is looking at this thread.

Is this sign real?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• fag.JPG
      fag.JPG
      File size:
      59.6 KB
      Views:
  10. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Did you give Chris a call?

11. wainair

wainair Member

LOL, women are suppose to be allowed to go topless in Ontario too but I never see it!

12. packrat

packrat Member

I left a phone message with Keicars but haven't heard back yet. hopefully I'll get some news (good) tomorrow

13. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Chris is a very busy guy, I'll fast track you to Domminion Insurance, I'm with them very good price, no problems,, no questions asked, but Chris will have a list

14. wainair

wainair Member

One other thing I would say too is when you do find an insurer for the truck and have it insured, i would change the insurance for your other vehicle to something other than TD Insurance. I would go with who ever insures the truck. It is outrageous that you are a customer with them in good standing and they won't insure the truck for you. And let them know that's why you are canceling your policy.

15. packrat

packrat Member

Hey, I got a quote today. $146/month for liability. Are they kidding! That's more than twice what I pay on a Dodge pickup, or my VW camper. The quote was through a broker who has dealt with other mini truck owners. Another weekend and the truck stays in the driveway. I'm getting pissed.

16. confuzed

confuzed Member

guy from work just bought a Nissan Skyline AKA street racer had no problems getting it insured with TD over the phone? try another agent i know i deal with cooperators and there is a huge difference between agents even tho they sell the same insurance one will say yes and another say no to the same questions oh yes i'm in alberta but it should not matter

17. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

PACKRAT

OK, lets start over, do you have any violations etc, that would be causing the high quotes? Also, are you letting them put it in as a daily commuter, work etc?

I put mine in as PL/PD weekend camp use no commute less than 10km/y 1m liab
    50/month.

You are right to think you are getting hosed.

18. packrat

packrat Member

I have a perfect drivers record, and I'm over 50. Been driving here in Ontario since I was 16. I have both a 1983 VW camper (TD Primmus) and a 87 Dodge (CAA) pickup licensed and insured by different companies because CAA wouldn't insure the camper. I also have a Suzuki DR 650 motorcycle insured. I can't insure it as a limited use vehicle because neither of my current insurers will touch the mini truck. Therefore I have to find another insurer. These other insurers look at it as a primary vehicle in this case, because I don't have another vehicle with them. Right now it's a bit of a catch 22 because I'll have to get certifications and inspections done for the other vehicles if I change companies with them to one that will cover the Carry. As well, I work Monday to Friday, and have a difficult time contacting insurers for quotes etc. I still have brokers who are supposed to be getting back to me, but they don't seem to be in much of a hurry.

19. project_x

project_x Member

spaner, how does Dominion handle the lack of digits for the VIN, what info did you provide to them?

Thanks,
    Rob

20. packrat

packrat Member

Another day spent looking, and still nothing useful. Aviva said no, CAA said no, TD Meloche said no. I tried getting through to three different Dominion agencies, who never got back to me, and Directors Global said no. I'm still waiting for Ron Johnson up in Orillia. They should have an answer today. This is not fun.

21. gopee

gopee New Member

insurance

Hey I just insured mine after a long search with Dominion - this is the underrwriter - all you need to do is find a broker that deals with Dominion.
    They wanted to see photos and any and all the documentation I had.
    This was in Toronto 4 weeks ago

22. packrat

packrat Member

Good news, I finally got insurance coverage today. Only took 3 weeks to get it. decent price as well.

23. project_x

project_x Member

Would you mind sharing some more information with us?

24. packrat

packrat Member

I tried various brokers and agents around Toronto, but finally got it from Gore Mutual through Ron Johnson in Orillia. I'll be using it at my cottage up north of Parry Sound, so have it registered there. Paying less than $50/month. No commuting, and low yearly mileage. Also it's not classified as a primary vehicle. I had other quotes of $2739, and $1600, so shop around. Had it out for a drive last night, and it runs real well. People definitely like it. I had a 1988 Supercarry van in New Zealand till earlier this year, but ended up giving it to a friends son to transport his band from gig to gig. Feels good to be back behind the wheel of one of these things.

25. zardoz

zardoz Member

My insurance company is "The Personal" (primary carrier for federal employee's... I'm ex CDN Army and got to keep my policy when I retired) they gave me cause for concern when they could't find a "profile" to fit the buggy into.. but all was figured out in the end. I've only got pl/pd and the rate is under 500/year.

z

26. prairie mini truck

prairie mini truck New Member

I have my honda insured through wawanesa. 650 a year. Hope this helps

27. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Sorry I wasn't there for you packrat. I insured mine through Dominion of Canada the same day I got mine ( 1992 Suzuki Carry ) for 42$ a month.

28. anthill

anthill Member

$175 / month, no commute, with Desjardins. In their defense I'm a 20s male with only a 2-year (ICBC) driving record, living in downtown Toronto, and it's my primary vehicle.

29. jay110sleds

jay110sleds New Member

Do you have this guys phone number im in the same situation no one wants to insure me

30. jay110sleds

jay110sleds New Member

did you have to get a appraisal?