1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance and Title for Florida Help ??

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by vintagetinfinder, Jun 1, 2015.

1. vintagetinfinder

vintagetinfinder New Member

Does anyone have information on what insurance company will write a policy on the mini trucks in Florida? In addition, any tips on how to get a Florida Title. I have purchased a 1996 Suzuki carry from Kentucky without title. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Akbillybow

Akbillybow Member

Not sure that I can help you much, but I see no-one has tried...so here is what I know. I live in Alaska, where they are not legal to drive on the roads, and therefore I cannot register or title my mini. Since I cannot register my mini, my insurance company will not insure it. I was told by my insurance co. that they consider it a "gray market vehicle", which means it does not mean the state requirements to license/register due to safety regulations not being met by the manufacturer. They told me I could obtain insurance through companies like Haggerty that insure "specialized" vehicles. A simple search for
    "gray market vehicle insurance" will pull up a handful of companies that will insure the unregistered mini.

I see that Florida does allow minis on the road, stating they can be used on "roads with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less". So you should go talk to you Department of Motor Vehicles and see what they require for you to get a title and registration. Each state is probably different. Here in Alaska, you would need to get a "surety bond" and provide it to DMV, and they will make a title (and would provide a VIN # if needed) for your vehicle. Once you have a title and registration, I would expect any "normal" insurance company should insure it. If not, you can get someone off the "gray market vehicle insurance" list to insure it for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

AkBillyBow

3. juzeefur

juzeefur New Member

Hello vintagefinder I was wondering if you ever got a way to get it titled in fl? I also live in fl and really having a hard time trying to find more concrete information on this subject. I know there are options, so far I found out: title services, make it a assembled from parts vehicle, or take it to another state??

Please let me know if you found a solution.

4. Ferris117

Ferris117 New Member

Any luck on this florida title situation. I am in the same boat

5. ShawnC

ShawnC Member

I live in North Florida and got my 1995 Carry titled and insured a few weeks ago.

Vintagefinder, you will need to figure what month your truck was built and don't try to title it and get insurance if you want it street legal until it is 25 years old to the month or older.

Once it is 25 years old, find out through your DMV where to go to get the VIN verified. I had no issues with this, they had done a few and knew the vin was no the normal 16 character American vin.

Once that is done call several insurance companies and check to see if they will insure. I use Geico for all my other vehicles so they insured my Carry. Because of the short vin they had to send it off to corporate to get approved but it was approved in a couple days.

Once you have insurance, go back to DMV for a title and tag with your vin verification paperwork and proof of insurance. If you have a tag you can transfer off something it will save you money, if not you will have to buy a new tag.

Good luck

Tyni93 likes this.
  6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that you guys noticed that vintagetinfinder's message is from 6/1/2015, and it's his first ond only post!
    Limestone

7. ShawnC

ShawnC Member

Haha, actually I didn't notice, makes me a dumb ass!

8. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Not really. We've all been there before. That's why were here! To help others!
    Limestone