1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed tracks on my Daihatsu

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by canoebuildah, Dec 29, 2008.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Member

I ordered a set of Giant tracks for my Daihatsu. The dealer I purchased them from installed a heavy duty frame kit which stiffens the tracks in the rear. I did not have to lift my truck as these Giants are flatter than the Mattracks. Installation was easy; less than an hour. It would have been much quicker on a lift. I had to jack up each corner individually.

I finished late yesterday afternoon so I just drove around the fields behind our farmhouse. There is about 18"-24" of snow on the ground now, less in the fields. This morning I took it for a ride down our path which is used by snowmobiles in winter. Then drove around camp on snow covered roads, open fields and narrow paths. The tracks worked great. They have provided much higher ground clearance than the stock tires. I drove over some plowed snowbanks and, as long as there are two tracks in contact with the surface, the truck moves right along. They go in reverse as well as forward, even uphill.

I have encouraged the dealer to become a site sponsor but in the mean time, you can PM me for his contact info. I highly recommend his service and product. Check out my gallery for more pics.

[​IMG]

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Very nice. Do they gear the truck down quite a bit? How's the price compared to Mattracks?

3. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Member

I definitely notice a difference in driving but most of my trip this morning was on narrow paths and steep hills which is mostly what we have on our property. I was able to drive in 2nd most flat places and only had to downshift to first on steep hills or while moving slowly through the woods. I would probably be in those same gears with tires on. But I wouldn't be able to drive on those areas with the tracks.

I paid just under $3700 for the tracks including shipping from Wash to Maine. That included the heavy duty braces for the rear tracks and the assembly. I removed them from the shipping boxes and installed them on my truck. The front mud guard does rub a little on the track housing while turning but does not come in contact with the tracks themselves. I think I'll leave them as is unless I notice a problem.

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

that looks really cool!!

5. miniMOG

miniMOG Member

Those tracks look good! Price is much cheaper than the Mattracks set-up. Are they 'all-terrain' or snow only?

Lets see some snow pics!:D

6. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Member

They are all terrain tracks. We don't have much snow left so the conditions are pretty mixed with snow, mud, and ice.

I can tell you they don't like the ice. I plow one of our gravel parking areas and it is ice covered right now. The tracks just skid and slip and I can't steer at all.

We are getting more snow tomorrow so I'll take some pics and video and post them.

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm....I wonder if there would be a way to stud them? Maybe simply bolts through the tread?

8. Cape Ape

Cape Ape Member

giants

We have a set on a truck right now (for sale). They are pretty rough on anything other than snow. However, they do excel in that application. They are not really ideal for very aggresive off road driving since the flat track tends to go under rather than over logs, rocks, etc.

9. Daverinme

Daverinme New Member

Those look great Chris. Would love to see some video.
    Dave

10. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Member

We still don't have much snow. This past week's storm was forecast for 8"-10" but we got 3" of icy snow. I'll post a video and more pics once we get snow.