1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inadequate Lighting

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Andrew.r.w, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

The headlights on my '92 are woefully inadequate. Only recently I've started driving in the dark now that fall is upon us, and these lights are so dim people don't seem to notice if I've high beamed them. These are the round sealed beams.

I'm thinking there must be someone out there who has improved the stock lights or added additional driving lights to a Sambar. What does the hive recommend?

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

check the power output with a voltmeter to the headlights...you may just have a poor ground

3. FiveOneOh

FiveOneOh Member

Ge night hawks

4. Kei King

Kei King Member

Go to Canadian Tire and get the upgraded GE or Sylvania lights. While you have everything apart, check and clean the grounds and all electrical connections.

5. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

I'm getting full voltage to the lights. They are sealed beams, Sylvania Halogen H6024. I don't know if different lights would help, or if I just need to calibrate my expectations.

The 7-inch round lights are not so common these days it seems. Are there any HID (xenon) options for these trucks?

6. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

my Mitsubishi and my Miata both use the &" sealed beams and have great output...did you measure the voltage with the headlights plugged in? makes a huge difference

7. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I found these H6024 conversion bulbs a while back (still considering getting them):

http://www.buyheadlightbulbs.com/H6024-Sealed-Beam-Conversion-7-p/unxxxx-10039hlx.htm

http://www.buyheadlightbulbs.com/Hella-H6024-Sealed-Beam-Conversion-7-p/hel-002395031.htm

The first link is an acrylic lens, the second more expensive one is a glass lens. Nice thing is that you can pick and choose your bulb now and aren't held hostage to having to replace the entire assembly.

I've noticed on mine that recently the drivers side bulb has gotten quite dim...the fuse is good, but seems to be loose in the fuse holder. If I wiggle the fuse the headlight gets full power until it loosens out a bit! Try running a good 12V to your bulbs to see if they're really dead or not.