1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a truck

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Coast Steve, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Still trying to find a good work truck,I have looked everywhere, and seen all worn out junk with the odometer turned back!

Now I know all these trucks have had a long life of hard work and I know they have WAY more miles than shown.

One had 36,000kms on it, but trust me it had 200,000 at least.

I guess it's not illegal to turn the odometers back in Japan?.

I am looking for a bigger truck, flatdeck, diesel, 4wd, etc, something like the picture shown but in 4dr maybe.

All the dealers I have seen are WAY overpriced for the condition and it's frustrating.

The other day I came across a Japanese website selling the trucks in Japan, and they were CHEAP, I know there are transportation costs and duties,etc to bring them in, but there must be money saved, no? I mean they were 2-$3000 for really nice ones.

But can someone tell me is it worth it to do it yourself?
    And has anyone done it?
    I only want one truck,
    but don't want to spend $14,000 for a worn out RHD 1990's 4 dr 4wd, flatdeck.

Thank you for any links, help or tips.

Frustrated ........Steve

Attached Files:

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

guy in stoon was selling this, pm sent for info

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  3. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Pics can't be seen for some reason,

4. Stuff99

ya site blocked it or something. pm'ed pics

5. Let me answer a few of your questions from our side of the ocean (Japan).
    1. No its not illegal to change speedometers here.
    2. Is there a way to verify mileage? No
    3. Most titles on older vehicles in Japanese say “Fume” or unknown
    4. Recently, when we have car inspections we right down the present mileage. In reality we don’t know.
    5. Mileage in Japan is not so important, its usually only a way for customers to know when to change their oil, etc.
    6. What is the average mileage per your in Japan? 12,000 Kilometers for passenger vehicles and 30 to 40,000 for light trucks.
    7. How much do we charge in Japan for a 15 year old K-truck or Van? About $2500 as is.
    8. How much for a Truck-Van with a new engine? $3800 to $4500
    9. Shipping to Vancouver? About $1300
    10. Can I come to Japan and pick my own vehicle? Yes, many do.
    11. What the commission on that? Each dealer is different and depending on “How many you purchase” Also the type of vehicle. Average $500 for lower end vehicles.
    Is importing a truck difficult? Can you change a light bulb?...LOL. Each country has its own rules and regulations. Canada 15 and older (by manufacturing date). USA need speed limiters etc. England anything goes, New Zealand-Australia there own set of rules. Do your research and its not that hard.
    Do Japanese exporters now all these rules? Yes and no. Some shady dealers will send you anything even they know it will get stuck in customs. Some will tell you straight “We won’t send you that car as you will get caught”. Also shop for a dealer that has a parts supply system. (Oh, we have one..LOL) Shop around and you will find many opportunities. After your done looking come visit us!! LOL

Cheers,
    Don
    www.yokohamamotors.com

6. Meesho

Meesho Member

4wd alone in that style of truck is very rare. Add in low milage, rust free, crew cab 4dr AND cheap price and I think you might be dreaming.

7. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

I think you might be right, and if I do ever find one, it won't be cheap.

8. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Update,

I got one, not exactly what I wanted, but it will work for now.
    It's in original condition, which is good, and now I can fix it up a bit to make it nicer.

I post pics later.:pop:

Steve

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  9. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

can't wait to see it......maybe a whole new section on the forum could be added for it...seing the pics of that dyna gives me urges in my man bits;)..

10. Meesho

Meesho Member

Wow, only took you 3 mins to find one. You dont mess around!!

11. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

A bigger truck

I am quick eh?

Ok, so it's a 1989 Mitsubishi Canter 2wd, (sits 3 though)
    2.8 liter diesel
    5 speed standard
    1500kg maximum loading capacity
    800kg max lifting power tailgate
    10'x63" box, with drop sides for loading.

The interior is quite clean for a work truck, and the odometer says 36,000kms

It drives very nice and solid, and has decent power.

I also thought the fuel gauge was broken, but it turns out it's really good on fuel.

I also found out is has an alarm in the cab that goes off when you go over 100kms per hour

Here are some pics, I spent the day today greasing all the fittings and cleaning the interior up.

Next is new tires, an oil change and filters, and transmission fluid change, maybe diff too.
    And some paint touch up.

Steve

Attached Files:

12. Meesho

Meesho Member

No wonder it only took you 3 mins to find. Not a crew cab, not a 4wd, not a turbo. At least its clean and has low milage.

13. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

I realized I can't afford the truck I want right now, but this one's great.

14. fupabox

I like it..a mini on steroids;)..li

15. alame

alame New Member

yes really looks good, think you'll be quite happy with that one

16. fupabox

So when can we expect some mods???...the animated giff isn't relevant just thot I'd share.:D...actually it represents one of our flock leaving for another truck family ..tore out our hearts then beat us to death:p.....thats a joke too..still can't wait to see mods:pop:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  17. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Now you guys know I would never leave the mini truck life now!
    I just got into a "medium" truck thing,
    Hope I don't get booted of the site now.

Oh, and I found out this diesel truck gets about the same milage my Bravo van did, and I'm not kidding!
    THAT's CRAZZZY

Give me about a week to fix the truck up.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  18. Stuff99

lol im a "medium" truck guy :p

still thats a nice truck you found! and if it gets the mileage you lucked out there completely!!

as for the annoying beep of doom its to annoy the driver.. plain and simple!

19. Mharklowel

Mharklowel New Member

One of the major criteria in buying used car is the mileage. I wonder why would some people try to tamper with speedometers when it is the major thing buyers would want to know. Obviously, if it was tampered something is wrong and of course buyers would not want to commit on something that is false. Tonneau Cover

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  20. DAVID-O

DAVID-O New Member

It's illegal

It is absolutely illegal to tamper with speedometers in Japan. It is fraud and against Japanese law "Sagizai". Also, Japanese people are very concerned with mileage and domestic dealers do not want to purchase vehicles with "fumei" or unknown miles.

David Okamoto
    Yamagin Corp.
    Tokyo/Los Angeles
    www.yamagin.net
    www.minitruckdealer.com

Acerguy likes this.
  21. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

That may be true David, and I hope you're right.

And 99% of people are honest.

But I can tell you this, some of the ones I looked at were turned back.

Here are a few of my tips for anyone that needs help on buying a car or truck, I know many of you know just what to look for, but for those that may not, here you go.

I know high miles when I see them,

I have owned 30 cars now and looked at hundreds more over the years,
    I have helped many people find used cars and I kind of got to know a few tricks certain people were doing when reselling them.

The bodies on these RHD's seem to be always decent, (no salt in Japan?) but like with any used car, if you look at wear on certain parts like these parts listed it may help tell you a milage story.

Know I do know it really depends on the driver and the road conditions and how many hours a day the car has been driven, plus how often the driver has opened the door and got in, but for the most part, 50,000kms (20,000 miles)or so, will show almost no wear on these parts I have listed,

These are just my own tips for any buyer, take them as you like, or don't take them at all.;)

On the steering wheel it may have wear like smooth (Polished), on the top half, very inportant to look here.

Standard trans, shifter knob, (polished) on top as well

gas and brake pedal rubber wear (Although sometimes I see a brand new gas rubber, or none at all, a red flag to me)

Drivers mat and floor UNDER the mat (where the heel sits)

seam seal rust under the truck between the pinch welds (Body to floor joint)

flaking Chassis rust,

signal and wiper control knobs will be polished,

worn drivers seat bottom, sagging seat springs (drivers side),

inside door panel and armrest may show polishing and wear.

Clear coat on engine valve cover will be peeling and all aluminum will show staining on motor

Drivers seat belt wear like "fuzz" on belt (on delivery trucks this will be more worn than on regular trucks,) but I always look at this anyway.

Open drivers door all the way and lift slightly, is there slack play?

about 10,000 miles (22,000kms) a year is the norm on a truck, does it add up then?

Can a 1990 have 20,000 miles on it with a polished steering wheel? :pop: short answer, no way.

For what it's worth,
    These are just a few tips of the top of my head

Steve

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    Acerguy likes this.
  22. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice post, Steve. Thanks! And also thanks to David for clarifying the speedometer tampering laws in Japan! :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  23. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Yes David, thanks.
    I always wondered the laws.

24. Stuff99

yup! good to know about the wear points. easy to think of, and easy to forget when looking at a vehicle.

ex my 90 ford bus. says 66k miles (not km) on it. i can believe it to. drivers door has no play, no polished places, no worn out pedals or floors but the windows seem pretty worn out, and im having fun with the bus doors.. sigh lol.