1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a truck “with issues” on inspection report

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bobacuda, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

If you have looked at importing a truck, you have surely noticed that all of them have numerous observations on their inspection sheets, even if a truck has a grade of 3 or higher.

For those of you that imported your truck, how well did the inspection portray the condition? Anything on a 3 - 3.5 that made you not bid?

2. matt167

matt167 Active Member

In my case I did not buy from auction. I bought from an importer who bought from auction. They were nice enough to leave the auction sheet in glovebox. Grade 3.5, noting a few dings and scratches which lined up right with the truck itself. The comments which I had translated read " driver seat bottom has been replaced ". The importer didn't note it, and I never would have noticed it, nor do I care, it doesn't match perfect in vinyl grain but otherwise identical. I have an interior in VGC I would say.

I did put in a clutch after 10k km but I think it was out of adjustment in shipping and I burnt it up. And now the carburetor is giving some fits. In my case, in the USA trucks having to be 25 years old will have 25 year old problems.

3. 98mit

98mit New Member

4. matt167

matt167 Active Member

grades below 3 generally mean there is something wrong and needs reconditioning either mechanically or body/ frame issues. Usually major rust. The auction is too old to see how much it went for at auction. Looks like a good truck but it might pay for you to have the auction sheet translated. What caused the grade 2 will be listed in there

5. 98mit

98mit New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing the problem was a seized spark plug. Took me days to get it out without damage. Compression is great, and no other issues so I guess I got lucky with a not so smart purchase.